Jazz bass question,

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wesley R, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

A small debate is being held at my house. One buddy claims that Fender made some jazz basses with a one piece pickguard and that this was around 1997, 1998 or 1999 and tha was the MIM series.

Another buddy claims that MIM basses of that era were Squires, but that even most of those had the tone controls on a seperate plate.

Please help us keep peace.

Wesley R.
  2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I think it was in 1983 that US Fender Jazzes had a one-piece pickguard/control plate. Strat knobs on that one too, IIRC...blech!

I can't remember if it was MIMs or Squiers that had the one-piece, but I don't think Squier was ever MIM. They were MIJ at one time, though.
  3. Wesley R

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I can confirm that my 83 had a one piece pg and strat knobs, but it wasn't "blech!", it sounded great and got me far, wish I still had it!!
  5. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    I believe the one piece pickguard was on the 83 USA jazz basses and on the earlier nineties MIM standard jazz basses. By 1997, I'm pretty sure the MIMs had chrome control plates. Squiers were made in Mexico at some point, I forget when, but these are different from the MIM Fender Standards.
  6. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I have a friend who has a MIM Jazz with the one piece black pickgaurd/control cover. I think it's late 90's. Poor guy wants a new tortoise shell cover but no one makes them in the one peice like that. I told him to buy a blank and I'll cut it out, but blanks are pretty expensive...
  7. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I don't know if you are only refering to basses or Fender in general, but my dad owns a Squier series MIM Strat, so they did make Squiers in Mexico at one point.
  8. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I stand corrected about the MIM Squiers. I don't think I'd ever heard about them before.

I'm also sorry about calling the one-piece pickguards "blech". It's just my shallow opinion.
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I can confirm that the '83 Jazz basses came with a one piece pickguard. I have been gigging with the same '83 jazz since... 1983. My favorite bass.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I seem to remember the one piece pickguard recurred in 1996 as well.
  11. Wesley R

I have one coming that is supposed to be a 97-98 according to the serial numbers. Not a lot of $ into it and it will be a second or back up bass. Perhaps becomingthe main bass as my main bass goes into semi-retirement. We will see.

Thanks Again,
    Wesley R.

PS, I too will want a new pickguard. A bud of mine makes PG for Ricks (he is truly ((bless his heart)) addicted to Ricks. If I beg enough my guess is he will make one for me. I did find a site that has a template for this Jazz Bass PG. Did not book mark it and might need to search again.