Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TribalEagle, Feb 11, 2006.

1. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    Here is a couple of guestions:

1. Do you think that there is any sense of buing a 5-sting with 21 frets?
    2. Is the Sguier 5-string p-bass basically a jazz? And is it any use?
    3. What cheap jazz shaped 5-stringer has a maple fingerboard?
    4. What is the bast knockoff cheap jazz copy there is? exept essex...
    5. Do you think that this is a good deal:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7388546746&fromMakeTrack=true

Many questions there:meh: Answer as good as you can.
    Thanks

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. Why would it make a difference? Unless you're going to use that high E a lot. 21 frets on a four string makes a three octave range. 21 frets on a five string is even bigger. If you use that note a lot, then it's necessary FOR YOU. My 20 fretters never have a problem. If I need the high E, there's always harmonics.

2. Tonally, it's similar to a Jazz. It's a Precision body and a fairly hefty neck IIRC. What do you mean is it any use?

3. I'm sure either SX makes one or has in the past. Other than that, can't really think of anything. Rosewood is much more common on cheaper instruments.

4. What do you have against SX? I believe they are THE BEST Jazz knockoff for the money. They rival instruments twice or even thrice their price. Other than that, I must know, what to you consider to be cheap?

5. You seem to want a Jazz bass. This has the jazz style body, but not the pickups. Is that what you really want?

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    21 frets works just fine for me, but I also tune E-C. All depends on what you want/need for what you are playing.

If I were you I guess I'd be looking at used basses. Not sure how much you want to pay, but there are often good deals on used 5er's. As always, though, the best bet is to play as many as you can get your hands on.