jazz bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mosmute, May 16, 2002.

1. mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    i was testing out amps at a music store when i decided to also test out basses. the amp i was using was a gk 800rb (which i ended up buying).
    the question i had was: when i was testing out the fender jazz and the modulus jazz basses, i would get a loud response from the low e string but when i went to the other strings it was significantly quieter. i was wondering if this had something to do with the basses being Jazz style and if i could remedy that....if i decided to go with a jazz bass in the future.
    does it have to do with the pickups?
    i'd never played with a jazz before...

input is appreciated
  2. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    im not professional so correct me if im wrong
    Ive never played a modulus but it could be the neck.. but its probably the pickup
    Right now im getting a fender jazz and i wanna get sadowski jazz pickups soo we'll see how that will turn out..
    well good luck on that jazz bass man
  3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    First, you don't always see a bass that has been properly set up in a store. With that in mind, a couple of things it might have been was that the bridge saddle for the E-string was lower than it should have been, or the pickup height was not adjusted properly.
  4. I noticed this on my MIM Fender Jazz fretless. On investigation I see that the E string is indeed lower at the saddle than the A and D strings. The G is set at about the same height as the E.

However the A and D have raised pole pieces and the E and G are flush with the pickup cover - I still have to look at the pickup height adjustment though!