1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by footprints89, Jul 14, 2012.

1. I've always had something come up where I haven't had to change my own strings (haven't been playing long). I have my first pack, and I need to change them for a large show. Does anyone have a good video or instructional for changing strings on a Jazz Bass?

2. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
    A quick google search has revealed this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTGMATV0wds

You'll also find this in the stickies.

3. Thanks for the response, but my bass is a bit different. I use the Geddy Lee model, and It just has a hole on the side of the peg (no opening on the top).

4. Alright. I saw an explanation for the other tuning peg. Do I have to cut the string before I tighten? I'm just a bit nervous I will mess it up. Haha.

5. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
    If your tuning peg just has a hole through it (like a guitar tuning peg), you can cut the string after you've wound it around the tuning peg (in fact, now that I think about it, you'll have to do it this way).

A couple of other things to consider...
    - you'll want to tug (pull up) on the string a little to stretch it. Do this a couple of times and re-tune after every tug.
    - you will want to check your intonation with new strings.
    - I'd recommend not changing them on the day of a show. Play them and let them settle in before you gig with them.
    - tune often until they've settled in.

6. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    measure twice, cut once. you can always make a string shorter, not longer.
    i normally measure to the next tuning peg, sometimes two, then cut.

7. Thanks for all the input, guys!