Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Recording tone.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jan 28, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Is it just me? or does almost everyone that plays a jazz bass have great bass on the record? seems it sticks out more in the mix. is this due to mixers being at home with the jazz bass over the years? or is it just the jazz?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's probably a combination of that plus people playing an instrument they like. They can have a distinctive, cutting sound.

3. Plus the fact that engineers know what to do with a Jazz or P bass. A lot of the modern basses throw them out of their comfort zone.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    and that's the main reason of the success of fender J and P design. they sound good. and this is the reason why a lot of top luthiers work on looking for the perfection of these timeless designs. leo was right.

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I've been recording with them for 12 years, and here's my two cents. Tone, of course, is probably THE most subjective thing two bassists could ever argue about. Are there basses out there now with different/better/more modern tones in them? Sure, but the nice thing about the Jazz is if you do nothing more than just plug it into a decent DI, you will get a great tone "out of the box", with little or no tweaking necessary. This is a blessing when you're in the studio and the clock is ticking. There is so much technology, effects, hardware, and software available today that can help almost any bass sound good. The Jazz just has that inherent sound that seems to work without a lot of hassle. Again, just my .02.

6. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I agree, one of the best recorded tones I ever got was my '74 Jazz bass (stock) into a '65 Ampeg B-15 with (I think) an AKG D-112 on the cone. No DI and man it cut thru! I was genuinely surprised listening to the tape.

tapp

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Hehe, Tom Sawyer just came on the radio when I popped in and saw this thread. Talk about a great Jazz tone, that album has an immortal bass tone I crave again and again. Sounds like his Jazz through an overdriven SVT.

It's kind of funny, after all these years and several basses, what did Geddy come back to? The Jazz.

I must say, it sure does record well.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    On tom saywer i think he used a rick. i could be mistaken though. also, about the jazz bass, it seems it has great low end, while still cutting though, on every record i have heard them on. seems like with other basses (Spectors, Ibanez, Esp) are like a crap shoot everytime. maybe it will have the great tone, but then maybe it will be killed. guess it is the familer feel it has with recorders.

9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    He used the Rick on tour, the Fender to record.

10. Prefab

Prefab

Dec 16, 2001
    San
    I recently read an old interview with Geddy regarding the basses he uses on Moving Pictures, and why he favors the Jazz. Tom Sawyer was done with the Jazz, and Red Bachetta was done with the Rick . He ultimately abandoned the Rick because they had to do a lot of dynamics processing and EQ to get a fat low end tone from the Rick. When he started using the Jazz, he noticed that it had bright highs, like the Rick, but the low end blossomed beautiful with no processing at all.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    My bad. This jazz bass is making me doubt my next bass purchase. MUST,,,,,BUY,,,,BOLT ON CZECH SPECTOR.....