Jazz Bass Refinish Project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amphlett7, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Tokyo Pink

20.2%
  2. Medium Yellow

36.3%
  3. Labyrinth Green

29.0%
  4. Something Else

13.7%
  5. Carrots

0.8%
  1. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones
    Hey guys! I thought I'd log the project that I'm working on currently!

I've had this MIM Jazz Bass for about 8ish years, but more recently the body has been sitting in the cupboard. Playing live this bass was always too heavy, so I stole the neck and popped it on a cheap Squire P bass I had, which was fine.
    284772_10150263507923306_6571983_n.jpg

Now that I'm mostly recording rather than playing live I think I can deal with the weight again and get back into the J sound.

Unfortunately this is what I found

IMG_3065.JPG

This is one of those MIM basses with the ultra thick finish and unfortunately the years were not kind to it, so the finish was popping off (Literally could remove chunks with my fingernail) on the edges.

I decided to bust out my heat gun and go to town, which was surprisingly easy in this case, with the finish coming off in sheets!

IMG_3071.JPG
    IMG_3066.JPG

What I found really disappointing was the quality of the body, which as you see below is a SEVEN PIECE ALDER BLOCK! Obviously this one was originally destined to be a Sunburstbut had a flaw in the wood.
    IMG_3069.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG

All my hopes for a stain finish were gone but that's where you guys come in.

I've purchased primer and clear coat, and now I need to decide on a colour.

My top picks are shown below, in colours available from my local graffiti art shop.
    I was trying to avoid typical Fender Colours, hence the interesting choices!

Tokyo Pink
    Tokyo Pink.jpg
    Medium Yellow
    Medium Yellow.jpg
    Labyrinth Green
    Labyrinth Green.jpg

I'm prepping the body and shooting primer this weekend, once ready I'll decide.

Attached Files:

TheMinutemen and reddog like this.
  2. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Wow, I'd heard those cheap thick coats could be pretty shell-like, but that's amazing. It almost looks like a coat of vinyl peeling off... I wonder if yours was missing some kind of undercoat that would have helped with adhesion?

Anyway, I'd go for yellow. It seems to be an extremely uncommon colour for basses and guitars in general, but I think it looks great and it'll stand out as a cool talking point for the instrument.

J-Bassomatic and jamro217 like this.
  3. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    I've heard that this is actually pretty common for this era of MIM's (This one's an '06) but I haven't had much experience with any others!
    Kinda sucks, I was expecting better when I bought it considering it was probably about US$800 when I bought it (It was $1100 ish US iirc)

And yeah yellow was at the top of my list initially, but now seeing it I feel like it would clash with my Yellow g****r because it will be every so slightly different in shade and that would kill my OCD.

4. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Consider the green with a black pearloid pickguard.

Rip Van Dan, edencab, smtp4me and 2 others like this.
  5. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Supporting Member

May 23, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    I like the pink...

Rip Van Dan, CaseyVancouver and Duder like this.
  6. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    That's my current favourite.

I was hoping to be able to get a similar colour to Fender's Antique Olive, but It wasn't available.
    Out of what was available I think that Pink is the best

7. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I concur

8. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    This^

That's a cool green and not something I've seen before. I think black or white pearl PG would set it off nicely. Can't wait to see the final product (unless it's pink)

9. TwinDad

TwinDad

May 18, 2017
    Kentucky
    They're all cool colors, but I think I'd go for the pink in this case...

amphlett7 likes this.
  10. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
  11. ComesATime

ComesATime

Dec 12, 2012
    I'm a fan of the pink myself.

My '02 agave blue P-Bass has a pretty thick coat, too. When it took a dive and got a big chip on the side, the piece came off like plastic and seemed to be lacking any kind of undercoat. Problem is I really like the agave blue.

Spirit of Ox likes this.
  12. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    I say Labyrinth Green, matching headstock, satin. It'd be like Army olive drab, and would therefore totally kick ass. Bonus points for 'relic'd nickel hardware and some sort of aged/antiqued pickguard, ivoroid or mint green celluloid or something.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  13. Thegrandwazoo

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    The pink or yellow could also be cool with a white pearloid pickguard and white or cream pickup covers.

14. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Funnily enough, all three of my original ideas have mint pickguards, and that's my main preference for this!

15. Thegrandwazoo

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    Mint looks cool with nearly everything, it may even be more versatile than tortoise, as evidenced by the fact that the revered tort wouldn't be great for any of these (maybe pink) and mint would look pretty good on all of them.

16. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Definitely agree with that!

I really have a prejudice against stark white pickguards, so mint or parchment is where it's at

17. Thegrandwazoo

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    Yeah, white sucks. White pearloid's not so bad, particularly aged. On bright colors, I think it's pretty damn sharp.

18. reddog

reddog

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    I.m contemplating a paler pink or olive green this weekend. The yellow would be real fun.
    Sherwin Williams is having a big sale... yup.. a brush job, followed by relic to let the burst peek thru. (SX jazz)

Duder likes this.
  19. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Sounds great!

Definitely share some photos once you're done!

20. Medium yellow but only if you add checkers and a taxi sign to it. I think that'd be a really unique look

But if you just want it simple then I'd go for the green.