1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass reissue with coloured headstock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamesemt, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Are these exclusive to Japan? I'm trying to decide between a 75 Natural or a 75 reissue but with a coloured headstock in 'OTM' - is that Turqouise? I remember reading something about the headstock being coloured in the 60's...can anyone shed some light?

Also, does anyone have a picture of said bass in OTM with matching headstock?

Do you think it would look a bit old fashioned for a rock band :bag:

2. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    go for natural :D

3. +1

4. Steakbomb

Steakbomb

Nov 21, 2004
    I've gotta say that I think Lake Placid Blue would qualify as "Pimp Status."

5. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Which may be great for your particular band! Very 60's.

Or some may just think it's gay.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    pyrohr has a Candy Apple Red 75 RI Jazz USA. I think they did a limited run in the 90's. HOpefully he'll pipe up here.

7. I can find the colour and a mayching HS 75 reissue, just not on the same bass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    So is the general feeling that OTM looks a bit ermmm gay??

Reason I ask is that this will be my main bass, I'm not in a band at present (and may or may not want to get into another band situation over the next few years) and don't want to miss the gig due to the bass looking ermmm gay/old fashioned :D

If I did ever decide on a band, it would be playing rock...

Think I may just go with the natural - only problem there is deciding between maple or rosewood/black or pearl :D

9. Il ike the green, but natural with maple/black is a classic look!

10. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I don't think it looks gay at all, but I guess it depends on the colour - seafoam green or burgundy mist maybe, but again, it's a retro thing so if retro is your band's vibe or your vibe, it ain't gay at all, it fits great. Black looks awesome IMHO regardless of your vibe, as would white or any other "strong" colours. I have a P bass Frankenfender that is black with a black headstock and pickguard, and rosewood fretboard.

When Fender introduced the Jazz in the 60s they all came with colour matched headstocks, and as the Jazz was Fender's "deluxe" model, you couldn't get the matched headstocks on the P bass, only the Jazz. The colours then were intended to be like the classic 50s-60s car colours, thus the malevolent seafoam green and burgundy mist colours. They have a cool vibe in the right context.

Not sure, but I think Fender may have done colour matched headstocks as an option for both P and J basses in the 80s or 90s.

11. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
  12. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Thanks for that. Need to have a think about it :)

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I can't be against the 'gay' color...I play a pink Precision. :smug:

The color looks fine, and it would be fine in a rock band.

But to be accurately correct, there were no matching in the 70's.

14. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    d0bfscd.

15. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love matching headstocks on a jazz!

16. that's sharp, if it had a parchment guard on it it would be even better

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

A matching headstock is a real classy touch , I wish they did one in Surf Green

18. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Mark how are you? My 75RI jazz is a bass that was made special for the european market. 200 basses were made and 40 went over sea's while the other 140 stayed home. the CAR bass is a true RI of a 75 jazz bass except for the CAR color which was available from 63-73. The body is ash like the natural bass. Fender also made a white bass and a blue bass which is marketed as a 70's RI jazz. I believe the body is alder and the pups are not 75RI pups. That bass is a bass that uses different aspects of jazz basses from the 70's thus the 70's RI moniker. The CAR 75RI jazz came out in 2002.[​IMG]

19. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

20. Sorry about the late responce but...
    DSC00104.