Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bass replacement neck? how are the sx ones?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Christian Waiau, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    ok... so i got ahold of a jazz bass body... i wanted a maple/maple neck... has anyone tried a sx replacement neck? i wanna keep this project low budget... so no warmoth for this baby...

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjpneck.html

how are the frets? stable neck? any problems?

would you recomend something else?

2. They are quite good and much better than what one might expect at that price point. If you expect the precise same quality as Warmoth for less than half the price you are fooling yourself. If you are reasonable and realize that these necks were designed for use on $100 basses and that they might have the occasional fret issue, then you'll be OK. They might need a fret dressing or a leveling. BTW, the maple/maple won't have a finish on it so you'll have to be prepared to put a hard coat of something on it. I just completed a bass with one of these and have another one in my shop now. I've used these necks before and they are quite good for the money. Get two and have a matching lined fretless too.

3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

what kind of coat would you recommend on a maple/maple? i kind of want a natural feel.. i have a fender maple/maple strat(guitar yeah....) but i like how the neck feels... it doesnt seem to have a hard coat on.