Jazz bass replacement pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Jul 2, 2001.

1. I'm ready to improve the sound of my MIM Jazz with some replacement pups. I need to do this mailorder and so far MF has been a good friend to me. In the $100 per set range, they have Dimarzio DP123, Seymour Duncan Vintage Jazz, and Fender Custom Shop 60's. How do I choose?
  2. BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    1. Check out their websites for specs and catalog descriptions,
    2. read the jazz bass pup shootout at www.bassplayer.com,
    3. do a search right here in this forum

Decide what kind of sound your looking to go for and choose the pup that will give you that sound. I was looking for a punchy midrange sound and settled for DiMarzio's DP149, although some like the DP123s a bit better. Basiscally its trial and error at a certain point. Do a search here and you will find more than what you asked. Good Luck!
  3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Almost any pickup will be an improvement over the stock MIM pickups. You'll notice a big difference with any of the three models you've listed. But who knows more about Jazz basses than Fender? That's the one I'd choose.
  4. Dimarzio DP123. I loved them so much, I put them on 2 cheap Fender Jazzes. They are humbucking even when only running one pickup turned up. And they sound great.

Observe, one set cream, the other set black. Best Jazz replacement out there, says me.

5. i rate the ultra J's, there dynamic, quiet and true to the original sound, there a little louder, not much, justa big improvement
  6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Fender 60's Custom Shop pickups. About $100. You just have to file some of the finish off of the pickup routings and they fit tightly, but they fit. You may have to file the pickguard a tad too, but you can still use the existing screw holes and stuff. They are awesome!