Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass replacements-Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassicRob, Apr 2, 2001.

1. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    Hey all, was wondering which replacement pickups I should put in my '95 Fender Jazz (mexican). For a little background reference, I have added a Bad Ass II bass bridge and playing through a Carvin R600 and 4x10 cab or Peavey Basic 112. I play alot of prog-metal, jazz, and rock. I am looking for a high midrange punch a la Jaco, Burton, etc. and pretty much keep the tone knob below 3 (if new strings) or 6 (if older strings) and bridge pup on 10 and neck pup on 5-7.
    After looking at bassplayer's reveiw, I am tossed between Aero's MP181, Bartolini 9W4J, and DiMarzio's Ultra Jazz DP149. I was also wondering about Seymour Duncan's Quarter Pounders, as recommended by an old bass teacher.
    Ultimately, I want a higher output and punchier mids. Thanks!

2. Last week I ordered a pair of DiMarzios ultra jazz for five string along with a bada** 5 bridge for my mim jazz. Cant wait to try them. The bartolinis look nice also. I think bass player website has a jazz pup showdown, check it out.
    eddie

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The QP's will definitely give you the higher output... The pickups in the MIM's are truly sad... When I took the ones from my '92 apart, they were like a couple of bar magnets pressed up against the bobins... Still and all, they served their purpose. I've heard nothing but good about the DiMarzios you mention, and the Fender Vintage pickups rock. Go to the source for the sound!!

Although this may be kinda offbeat, the Schaller JBX's in the StewMac catalog are a good buy...

http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/2.asp?name3=Schaller_Bass_Pickups

Really! I've used the PBX in several basses that I've made and have found nothing to complain about. Truly an under-rated deal...

-robert

4. I was going for old-school sound, so I used DP123's, Standard Jazz instead of DP149 Ultra Jazz. But the Dimarzio's are the way to go for me. Noiseless and good sounding. I put them on 2 cheap Jazzes.

Chris

5. Throbby,

How much growl did you lose, if any? Is it possible for you to describe the tone change?

FF

6. I'd get the DiMarzios.. either the UltraJazz or the DP123. I've got two DP123s in my MIM Jazz, and an UltraJazz in the bridge position on my Carl Thompson, and both basses growl like crazy.

7. I don't think I lost any growl. I don't even know if the tone changed much. I had to get rid of the hum, so I didn't even form an opinion on the stock pickups. They were gone in a week.

Basically, I'm no help. I do know the DP123's sound really good, and I get the older, fat "round but defined" sound I'm after. Plus you can run just the neck pickup for a really fat P-bass sound with no hum.

Chris

8. I have the Ultra Jazz pickups in my American Standard Jazz and I think they give the sound you may me looking for. To me, they sound like I'm playing through a Hartke 4-10 cab because of their high mid accent and growl. They have exceptional definition and the lows are super tight.

9. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    Given the response and the difference in price between the Aeros and the DiMarzios (almost $100), i called up the guys at Bass Central today for a quote. Will let you know how they sound if I decide to go for it!

Thanks!

10. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I'm very bad at describing sound but the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups I put in my MIM jazz bass sound AMAZING!

11. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Tone and sound wise the ultra jazz, dp149 I think, are an almost dead on match for the standard Fender single coil sound. There was little difference in tone and sound with both pickups full on. There is one big difference. Zero hum if both pickups are not at the same level.

I don't think the sky will open if you replace your pickups with Dimarzio's but I think they allow for more tonal options than a single coil.

I was playing the other night admiring the tone I was getting when I realized I had my neck pickup soloed, with no noise or hum.

12. Just one word of warning. The Ultrajazz, though absolutely first rate pickups, are NOT high output. From my experience, I would say if you want high output consider quarterpounders. If you want good tone and clarity go for Ultrajazz. If you want tone clarity AND high output, go for ultras and get a preamp as well.

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    For my 73-75 (still undecided) Jazz, I went with Fender Custom Shop 60's pups and J-Retro preamp. This is supposed to give you a full range of sounds, from classical Fender (including Jaco) up to the modern. I am still refinishing the bass, and hardware/electronics are not installed yet..stay tuned!

14. I put a pair of SD Antiquity (I) in my Am/Std Jazz and it's a whole new world of wonder. I've gone from feeling ok about the bass to totally loving it completely. The tone is warm and rich with a good traditional vibe, strong output and superior sensitivity - light years beyond the stock MIA pickups. Changed the way I play - for the better.

I hate to admit it but i like the pups on my MIM Jazz better than the old stock MIA pups!

15. I find that the stock MIM pups have a much deeper feel and the neck pickup soloed has a perfect ol skool sound that the MIA stocks just missed.

The MIA stocks were just "thin" and boring. So many people have panned the MIM pickups but i think their crude simplicity is a good thing.

16. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Aero's all the way. No Hum NO Noise just the best Jazz tone you can't get from any other pickup. You should call Aero and talk with them. The guy there is Larry. He will help you with all your questions. http://www.aeroinstrument.com check it out. They even make custom pickups which is what I am getting

17. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Aero's all the way. No Hum NO Noise just the best Jazz tone you can't get from any other pickup. You should call Aero and talk with them. The guy there is Larry. He will help you with all your questions. http://www.aeroinstrument.com check it out. They even make custom pickups which is what I am getting

18. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    Just a note saying I went with the DiMarzio DP149s, bought them today from Rudy's in NYC. I will put them in this weekend when I reunite with my bass and have time to do it, and post a review. Thanks for all the input!