Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by enfilade, Dec 26, 2002.

1. enfilade

enfilade Guest

Dec 24, 2002
    orange county, ca
    what do you guys think the best replacement pickups would be for a mim 4 string jazz? i'm looking to stay passive.

thanks

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like my DiMarzio DP-123s...

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I would suggest two things. One, do a search of Pickups forum, you will find a lot of info there.

Two...tell us more about the kind of music you play, what sound you are looking for etc. The more info you provide, the better the advice you get.

4. ...as do I.

5. Dimarzio DP-123 or SD Hot (non-stack version)

6. Duncan/Bassline Vintage Stack...vintage sound and dead quiet. Sound techs love them.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bartolini makes some nice Jazz bass pickups. I have the basic single coil ones in my green custom and I love them.

8. enfilade

enfilade Guest

Dec 24, 2002
    orange county, ca
    and they'll fit in perfectly, right?

I won't have to like uh..have the body re-routed or something like that.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What year is your MIM?

10. If you have one of the new mim jazz basses (2001 or newer I think) no routing will be required if you have an older one you might have to file away a bit of wood on both sides of the pickup rout

11. enfilade

enfilade Guest

Dec 24, 2002
    orange county, ca
    should I replace the pots?

would I notice any difference?

12. It would only makes sense to change pots if they sound scratchy when you turn them, if they don't you don't have to replace them

Difference? Depends on what you mean, if you mean a different tone after changing the pickups, yes you probably will notice

13. Seymour Duncans come with an exchange policy if you dont like them. Personally I would stick with the original pups and drop in a J-retro preamp, it'll make a bigger difference than any pup change. I know you want to stay passive, but that's my opinion.

14. enfilade

enfilade Guest

Dec 24, 2002
    orange county, ca
    Does anyone have any clips of the Dimarzios?

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    but what about Fender's Noiseless Jazz pickups? I've got them in my stock MIA Deluxe and I plan to add a set to my CIJ fretless. I would put them up against any of the ones that have been named but to each his/her own. :)

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Aero Instrument makes pickups for lots of instruments, including the odd-sized MIM jazz basses. They sound great!