Jazz bass restoration project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gallienkrueger, Oct 14, 2002.

1. yes i mthinking about buying a Squier jazz bass or a cheap MIM j-bass and im most likely going to bring it to bare-bones and put new stuff in it like new pick ups. one of my ideas is to take out the back j-pickup and put in a Duncan MM pickup. Im going to remove the finish from it and put a Quilted Maple finish on the bass. put a new bridge on and if i have the moeny, buy a preamp and install it. for those who have done a similiar project like this by themself please tell me what i should be cautious about it.
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Well, one caution would be that 'Quilted Maple' isn't a finish, but rather a wood... Other than that, the other mods should be accessible to someone who is reasonably handy. Good luck, and as always, post pics!!

3. ok well i guess its gonna be like a Clear gloss or red gloss finish. i dont know, i am on a budget right now. most likely making a 500 buck MIM jazz bass into a really nice bass that would be worth im guess 700 is not on the top of my priorities. How much does a MM style pickup cost? i checked warmoth but i wanna know if they can come any cheaper.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Save up your money and buy an FMT jazz.
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Why not get an Essex Jazz and upgrade those? :confused:

Essex J = $150
    MIM J = $300-350

From what i hear bout essex, they with in the same quality as MIM Fenders and costs about 1/2 the price.. use that money for the upgrades.. that is if you really are on a budget

6. i am on a budget just i like the fender sound and i think a new bassline j-pickup and MM int he back would sound good and new color.
  7. I'm selling a MM style pickup. Its not an actual Duncan or EBMM pickup, but rather a MM clone. $15 + shipping.

Get the Essex, is my suggestion. If you plan on moding and swapping the pups, you;ll lose whatever Fender sound you had from the stock bass. Save yourself some money and get an Essex.
  8. How are you gonna get the MM pup in there. Do you have good routing skills?
  9. do i? no. does a local luthier who lives 20 minutes from me and will do the routing for 50 bucks? yes
  10. im in the process of talking a guy down at a store on getting me a old ibanez fender copy. im not sure if i should re do that or not but im trying to talk him down to 400-500 dollars on this bass.