Jazz Bass Saddle Set Up Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kleinroq, Sep 25, 2004.

1. kleinroq

kleinroq

Sep 25, 2004
    I just purchased a used Mexican Jazz Bass. The neck is straight and it sounds great when played. I took the hardware off the saddle when I was cleaning it and now am at a loss as to the correct re-installation. I know this was a bonehead move but it's my first bass so cut me some slack. I play guitar and have for 23 years. I know what goes where just not the height away from the body for each string. I turn to you for help. Any other tips would be appreciated.
    -Alex

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ok. Just set it so the strings are just high enough so they don't buzz, or if you like the action a little higher raise the saddles higher. It's really easy, oh and make sure to adjust them so they go with the radius of the fretboard. The e and g strings will end up being a little lower than the a and d strings if you do it right.

3. kleinroq

kleinroq

Sep 25, 2004
    Thanks!

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I recommend using Fenders setup guide as a first shot. This will give you a good medium setup to start with.

http://mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

You need to know the radius of the fretboard, but you should be able to get that off the Fender site.