Jazz Bass Saddle Set Up Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kleinroq, Sep 25, 2004.

1. kleinroq

Sep 25, 2004
    I just purchased a used Mexican Jazz Bass. The neck is straight and it sounds great when played. I took the hardware off the saddle when I was cleaning it and now am at a loss as to the correct re-installation. I know this was a bonehead move but it's my first bass so cut me some slack. I play guitar and have for 23 years. I know what goes where just not the height away from the body for each string. I turn to you for help. Any other tips would be appreciated.
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ok. Just set it so the strings are just high enough so they don't buzz, or if you like the action a little higher raise the saddles higher. It's really easy, oh and make sure to adjust them so they go with the radius of the fretboard. The e and g strings will end up being a little lower than the a and d strings if you do it right.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I recommend using Fenders setup guide as a first shot. This will give you a good medium setup to start with.

You need to know the radius of the fretboard, but you should be able to get that off the Fender site.