Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bass schools

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Duncan McRoberts, Jul 4, 2000.

1. Duncan McRoberts

Duncan McRoberts

Dec 15, 1999
    Does anyone know of colleges with a good undergraduate jazz bass program? I've heard good things about the University of North Florida and and of course North Texas State but I would like to look at some other schools.

2. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I've heard a lot of good things about William Patterson University in New Jersey; Rufus Reid teaches there. Reggie Workman and others (I think) teach at New School University. I know University of Miami has a big jazz program, but I don't know anything about the bass program. Then there's Berkley, Manhattan School of Music, SUNY at Purchase and many others.

3. slapfish

slapfish

Jul 16, 2000
    Chicago, IL

4. Even before leaving WPU, Rufus had been doing less teaching and more administrative work. WPU slipped up and let Todd Coolman get away. An excellent teacher, I believe he was hired by State Univ of New York (SUNY) - Purchase, NY branch. The overall jazz studies program at WPU is excellent, and I have to believe they'll have able replacements for Reid and Coolman

5. ChelseaC

ChelseaC

Jun 27, 2000
    UNF is a good school if you are really able to motivate yourself to practice. It's too easy to slide by with A's and B's without working too hard, so it's up to you to put pressure on yourself to improve. (This is all probably true of any music program. UNF was my only school though, and that is my experience there.)

The rhythm section faculty are great. Check out bass teacher Ricky Ravelo and piano teacher Kevin Bales on Marcus Printup's latest album on blue note. Gutiar teacher Barry Greene is amazing, as is the multi-talented Bill Prince. And if you've never heard Bunky Green on sax, you're in for a treat- he is an inspiration beyond words. some of the other faculty are kind of lame, but they can be ignored. To get your moneys worth from the good faculty, you have to come to them outside of the classroom and lesons to really learn, but that is also probably true of any music school.

Jacksonville is a wierd city. There are nearly a dozen good upright jazz players in town, so you'll have to work hard to get gigs. it's fun though, they're all friendly.
    There's not much of a classical program at the school, but there's a symphony in town, and you can find a good classical teacher if you're into that.

Oh yes, and with the new music and arts building the school is finishing, the program could enter into a golden age in the next year or two.
    Well, that's my little brochure from a current bass student, hope it helped some-
    chelsea

------------------
    Why am I Mr. Sparkle??

6. Duncan McRoberts

Duncan McRoberts

Dec 15, 1999
    Chelsea- How competitive is it to get in to UNF? Billy Thornton (do you know him?) told me that if I auditioned, I was certain to get in. Is this true?

7. bassy18

bassy18

Oct 30, 2001
    Here
    know of anything good in ohio?

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Before you do anything, read Dr. Todd Coolman's essays about jazz education on his website: WWW.TODDCOOLMAN.COM His opinions are very original and hit the nail on the head.

9. Some great stuff in there! Thanks for the link!

- Wil

10. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A long time ago, I played some duets with Ellis Marsalis. Now, before y'all get pissy about his kids, let me just finish my story.
    At the time, I wanted to play jazz, move to Boston, and mebbe go to Berklee. (This was before I took sick with a case of Luthiery. I never recovered.) After playing some standard tunes, he asked me "What do you want to do?" So I told him. He laughed. Ellis said "If you want to learn composition, go to Berklee. If you want to learn jazz, go get a gig." Lots of people think of him as THE Jazz Educator. He eschews that idea, though.
    It was an interesting afternoon...