Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass series/off/parallel diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gr8estbassist, Oct 9, 2004.

1. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    hello this is my first post, i've lurked for a while and now i have a question. i have used the search and haven't found a clear answer to my question, so here it is, i have a set of dimarzio ultra jazz pups and would like to wire them series/off/parallel with a dpdt switch and 2 volume pots and 1 tone pot (can this be done?).
    i'm not great with real compex diagrams but if you have a way to wire them that would be better feel free to chime in.

thank you,
    zach

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As Smash says, not with a DPDT. DPDT stands for double pole, double throw. The double throw means that the switch has two positions.

3. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    ok, then i won't have an off position(it was an idea for when recording in the studio). i already have a hole in my mounting plate for a switch, i guess i will get a switch with just two positions. and could you point me to a diagram for that.

4. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    I wired my Dimarzios with two push-pull pots (500k, DPDT) so that
    each P/U is series/parallel switchable, by using this diagram kindly
    supplied by DiMarzio tech support:

http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~jagonzal/wiring.gif

great results :)

5. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    what kind of switch are you you using(just two positions or three)? the 0n/off/on dpdt switch i have also has 6 termanals, would it work or do i need another switch .

6. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East

this also looks interesting where do you get the push/pull pots from(stew mack)?

on the diagram:
    the solder point on the far left, where is it soldered to? is it soldered to the back of the pot(the metal casing of the pot)?

7. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Exactly, the push/pull pots were from stewmac, 500k Push/Pulls. However, the minimum order is US$30, so I had to con my guitar player into buying pickup mounting rings :D

All the "ground" points go to the back of the pots. At least that's how we soldered.

I really like the way the series/parallel works out. I like to run the bridge J in series and the P in parallel for that very sizzly 80's/90's rock tone (think Guns n Roses).