1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jazz bass series/parallel switch

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kkaarrll, Sep 4, 2017.

1. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    does anyone have a diagram for it?
    does anyone have pictures of how they have executed it with the switches/wirings etc?

dabbler likes this.
  2. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    does anyone have clips or experience with it?

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    j_series.gif

4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have it on one bass: used a push/pull on the bridge volume. It's a really great mod: adds a thickness to a J that is not attainable with stock wiring. The little volume boost is cool, too.

Sartori likes this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    That's the one I used, except I put the switchpot in the tone position.

6. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    has anyone done it with a mini switch? instead of push pull on the tone knob or bridge volume knob?

CTv and Korladis like this.
  7. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I had one on a switch in a MIM Jazz. It did require drilling the control plate and routing the body to fit. But I did prefer that to a push/pull because it felt a little more solid, less likely to be bumped. Wiring is the same as the push/pull.

Edit: bad cell phone pic attached. I no longer have this one. But you can see the switch on the plate above/between the two volumes. It's a refinished MIM body, so there was originally wood under where that switch is placed.

IMG_3967.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    kkaarrll likes this.
  8. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I used a switch on an old P bass years ago. Worked the same, but did put another hole in the pickguard. Had I known about push/pulls, I would have done that in order to make reversing the mod clean.

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Do both vol pots still work when switched to series?

10. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    No. You have to pick one to be the volume while in series, and the other will do nothing.

57pbass, Korladis and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  11. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    My neck volume becomes the master volume when in series mode. It's closer to manipulate than the bridge volume. The push pull on the bridge volume also allows to not mess with adjustments since I tend to leave the neck volume full up most of the time.

12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Bummer. I used a schematic to wire for series only, and both vol pots still do their thing.

13. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Hmm, mine didn't, at least. I know there's a few possible ways to wire it up. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but in series, the bridge volume was inactive.

Do you get a change in tone and volume when you switch?

14. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    This exactly. I've installed 3 of these, including on my current parts Jazz. All three were wired with a push/pull pot according to the schematic on the SD site. It's such a cheap and easy mod and it's such a neat tone to have access to, that I consider it pretty much a necessity on a jazz bass.

The whole point of series is that the two pickups basically become one sweet humbucker. There's not really much (any) reason to control each pup individiually in series mode.

dabbler likes this.
  15. As said above...the neck volume on mine is the master for series volume. 003.JPG

matthewwithanm, wmmj, Ikkir and 2 others like this.
  16. McThud

McThud Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Arlington, VA
    BTW, yours is one helluva sexy looking J Bass.

lostrings likes this.
  17. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Big fan of Fender's S-1. Can't even tell there is a switch!

150284147205-1.jpg

matthewwithanm and mesaplayer83 like this.
  18. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    A friend of mine installed a BQ V12 tone pot with serial/parallel switch a while ago, and it got me very enthusiastic. :)

That switch is a really nice addition. Highly recommended too. The V12 pot as well. Gives you 12 very usuable tone choices.

19. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I'm assuming this would sound like my Jag Deluxe series/parallel switching?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020