Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Series/Parallel

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EvanDaw, Dec 9, 2003.

1. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    How would I go about makeing my jazz bass switchable from series to parallel?

2. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    Thanks. I Will. Do you think you could get me some wireing schematics? Also, I would like a toggle switch but schematics for a push/pull switch would do as well. Thank you again.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have Dimarzio ultrajazz pickups in my Fender jazz bass. I have it so that each volume pot is a 250K push/pull pot. I can run each pickup in either series, or parallel mode.

Got the wiring diagram from Dimarzio. I had a local tech do the job. He also swapped the tone pot for one that actually does something.

That is how I do it, and I couldn't be happier!
    Hope that helps :)

Tim

4. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    I would like a new hole. I like my 2 volumes. It doesnt realy matter where it is positioned to me. I dont see myself switching it in mid song in the near future. I would like to be able to have my pickups the way they are now, which is 2 singles (I believe that is paralell), and to be able to flick the switch and have them become a humbucker (I believe that is series). But I don't want to lose my ablilty to use both volumes.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Smash, I got the idea for using the push pull pots from your threads! :)

It's nice having the various tonal options. To be honest though, I run the pickups in parallel more than series-the ultrajazzes put out what I feel is a fat sound even in parallel mode. The TI Jazz Flats may have something to do with that IMHO.

But put those suckers in series, and lookout-very fat, almost stingray-ish kind of tone.

For that reason, I'm going to use those pots again on the Model J's I'm gonna put into my fretless.

You can just learn so much here at TB-thanks agin Smash!

Peace
    Tim

6. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    Is that a push/pull switch?

7. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    I think I'd like a little toggle. It doesn't matter to me if I drill. Any way... Im kinda low on funds for this project and I'd like to keep it as cheep as possable.

8. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    Yes. I have all of that stuff. Now all I need is some schematics.

9. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    So let's say you have humbuckers like the Model J or the Ultra Jazz in your bass. If you have them wired in series individually, can you still pull another series/parallel switch in there to get the option of them becoming a giant single pickup? Would it sound good? Really good? Overkill?

I've read the other threads and this wasn't made that clear. Sorry if it's a redundant question.

10. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    I went through some forums and found this schematics sight.
    http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~dgb/index_e.htm
    The only problem is I dont understand them nor do I understand what each schematic accomplishes. I also looked at the thread you sent me Smash.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=90676
    I'm wondering if those indtructions are correct, and what all this does. Like will I still be able to use all of my pots when in paralell, I believe that is when the pickups are 2 seperate singles, and which pot will be the volume pot when in series? Also I saw somewhere that in one wireing configuration the front pickup will have to be on at all times. Will the instructions I spoke of earlier Cause this?

11. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    Also... This is kinda off topic... But I'm new to this sight and im wondering how you get that "quote" thing when you quote someone?

12. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    Sorry. The pic downloads but I cant get it to show up. I tryed 4 image programs. Nothing works. Not to offend you or anything but all i realy need is a yes or no on those instructions and I can do it. Thanks anyway for the pic.

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I hardwired my Brice Douglas 5 in series. Damn...thing sounds big! More Pish than MMish but with more top end than a P bass. I tune to C, F, A#, D# and G# for my heavy band and B, E, A, D and G for my pop band. Sounds great this way. I'm a definite convert...at least until the bridge MM humbucker I've ordered comes in...then it'll be J/MM time. Right now though...I really like the thicker low mid tone I'm getting as opposed to the standard J tone. Even though it's thick in low mids there is still plenty of highs to give it definition. Those w/Js should at least try this (IMO).
    -Bazz-

14. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
  15. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    Yeah. It works. Thank you again.

16. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    Ok. Would the numbers still be the same?

17. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    I just found out I'm not going to be paying for the switch so I think I'll just buy that one. I'm off to Radioshack now. I'll tell you how it all works out and vote. Thanks again.

18. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    GRRRR.... I was tightening the switch into the pickguard and the top broke off of it. Now I have to go get a new one. From what little I heard of it it sounded great! I was a little confused about how the pots have to be to get it to work though. I'll figure it out after I wire in a new switch though. Thanks for all your help.

Edit:spelling

19. EvanDaw

EvanDaw

Feb 27, 2003
    Derry PA
    Thanks. Ill try that when i get my new switch. And I'll vote cause this time Im not gonna break it....