Jazz Bass series wiring with S-1 switch and other diagrams

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mikecd1, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Keep the S1 switch and leave it alone.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Install a standard switch and put the original knob back on.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Just buy some carrots.

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. mikecd1

mikecd1

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Okay, it was snowing out for a long time, I was a little bored and wondered if I could get just a little more tone out of my 70's Jazz (MIM). Its wired passive and has two Duncan SJB1's and has nice vintage tone, love the location of the bridge pup. Was thinking about putting in a series/parallel switch to get a little more output and bump the mids then remembered an old S1 switch I'd taken out of a Pbass a few years back. Had bought a knob to try it in my Jazz, but never installed it. Found them in my parts bin, and it took less than an hour to install. Love the sound! Although you have no control over pickup balance in series the sound is much fuller with better lows, mids and output. If I added a pan pot I'm wondering if that would work in series mode. Not knowing anything about the construction of the S1, would I be better off with a regular push-pull switch or doesn't it matter? Maybe the poll should be about adding the pan pot.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. mikecd1

mikecd1

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    JazzBassSeriesWiringDiagram.jpg more series.jpg PBassControlAssembly.jpg series wiring.jpg seriesip8.jpg
    Okay, saw the other threads on alternate wiring, series only and got some great diagrams. Looks like carrots win...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022