1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass Series Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 99Z3, Apr 3, 2015.

1. I have already done the search here and on the interweb, I have found a lot about series/parallel, but nothing much about wiring the jazz straight series.. I don't care about the other.. I want the pups in series.. period..

What I need to know is how to wire it correctly in series.. end of story, The dang thing buzzes awful! Even full/full on!

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Tie the black wire from the neck pickup to the white wire of the bridge pickup. Then connect the black wire of the bridge pickup to ground (back of grounded pot case or even the output jack ground). Now use the Neck pickups white wire as the signal wire to the volume pot. Done!

maxschrek and orange joe like this.
  3. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    first off, the buzzing can be a few things (shielding, bad wiring, bad soldering, etc.) but, if your bass buzzes like that even when both pickups are full, i'm thinking you might have pickups with the same polarity. it happens sometimes that a bass in the assembly line gets both positive or negative polarity pickups. and if this is the case, wiring in series will not help you reduce your humming/buzzing. this is because you need one pickup with positive and one with negative polarities toward the strings in order to cancel the humming (humbucking).

4. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    easy way to check?... if you have another pickup laying around. place the part that would be the top (the part that would face the strings), facing one of your pickups, this should cause an attraction or repelling action. do the exact same to the other pickup, and you should get the opposite effect as you did before. if both pickups attract or repel (both do the same), there is your problem. (you can also do this with any other magnet, just be sure you use the same side to test both pickups.)

MVE likes this.
  5. Doing that made the buzzing worse!

6. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    yeah, try checking your polarity. that is another sign. if you already pulled out the pickups, place them face to face. they should attract each other. if they repel, then you found your problem.

7. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    I'm 99% shure that the problem is that there is no proper grounding. Just solder a wire on the ground pin of your jack and mount that wire to your bridge. This way humming will be suppressed when you touch your strings.

Make sure your amp is grounded too. Plug it in a grounded walloutlet. If you dont know if your walloutlet is grounded, use one in your kitchen.

Try this before tracing your circuits....

MattZilla likes this.
  8. Well I have found part of the problem.. it is the tone pot.. more to bass tone I go, the more it buzzes.. more to treble, the less it buzzes.. But I am not done with it.. I will fool with it some more later.. right now I am at the point of pulling what lil bit of hair I have left out!

MattZilla likes this.
  9. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Haha wel take the diagram of a pbass this is almost the same circuit for your purpose. Use your jazz parts (pots and cap). Wire the pups like lovethatbass told you (kind of battery system +-+-)and dont forget the bridge wire. Read the red wire as your white one. pbass.

10. Ok.. will try it again here in a bit..

11. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    I like to hear the outcome.

12. Oh I will give some feedback for sure, I am fixing supper right now.

13. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Hahah well its 11pm over here

14. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    well, just in case everything else doesn't work and decide to check your polarity...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  15. well I do appreciate that, I will check that, I have returned it to what it was.. I am going to put new guts in it and start over! There is something fubar in it and I think I know what it is.. but can't do anything till tomorrow..

16. The buzz is gone now when I touch the strings.. full on, but still buzzes full on.. I am buyin a East pre.. and will get some better pups.. wire series !

17. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Pups in series wont kill humm for what i know. Cheap pups or expensive ones basicaly dont differ in functionality only tone and output. Same as tyres. They are al made of rubber and funcion basicaly the same. So i guess that the humm will still be there with expensive ones because of other factors(shielded pickguard, shielded cable, grounded power, quality of amp etc.)

I curious about the outcome with other pups.

18. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I'm just curious about why you want to do this. Is it a unique tone you are looking for? Just curious.

19. You can fit a small dummy coil between the two pickups. It won't effect your tone and it should kill any mains hum.

20. Well I was thinking of putting Nordy pups in the bass. And give it a marriage with the East pre.. Now the pre that I am getting is not a U-Retro.. Yes, I am experimenting and that is why I was wanting the pups in series. I am getting a MMSR 3 Knob. So the pups will need to be in series with that pre.

TonyP- likes this.