Jazz Bass Setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dave44, May 15, 2002.

1. I bought my beautiful Fender Jazz (U.S.) last month and it's time for a setup and adjust. Should I buy new strings for the intonation setup and what would be the optimum height for the strings? I do play all over the neck with lots of diffrent sytles of music. I have been known to be fairly aggressive in my attack on the neck. Other than the obvious what else should I be asking the guitar tech. to look at and adjust? This is my first Fender Bass so a bit of a newbie with these guitars.
  2. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

For some basics on Fender Bass Set Up, check out www.mrgearhead.com. You'll find pdf files that give the recommended specs.

Best Wishes,
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This belongs on the Setup Forum.

4. New strings are required for attaining a good setup and the new strings should be the brand and model you intend to use regularly on the instrument. Changing brand or type will often require another neck adjustment and you just don't want to be doing that each time you change strings.

If you are as aggressive as I imagine, a little more relief in your string height might help. Jazzes are notoriously noisy with ultra low actions.