Jazz Bass Solos

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Stumpy, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I would love it if everyone weighed in on this.

I am looking for recordings, names of players, etc. for some of the coolest/best jazz bass solos. I have a small class, that is a jazz combo, and would like to get my bass player listening to "the good stuff" for jazz bass.

Any help is appreciated.

2. If your bass player wants to play "the good stuff" then he needs to start listening to real jazz bass players like Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, etc. There's tons of threads on this site about great jazz players.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Check out Bill Evans "live at the Village Vanguard" and "Portraits in Jazz" both with Scott Lefaro. Oscar Petterson "A Summer Night in Munich" with Niles-Henning Orsted Pederson those three are loaded, not just one or two solo's but good bass solo's every song! As far as modern stuff, Pat Metheny's "Bright Size Life" with Jaco Pastorius, Larry Coryells "Tricycles" with Mark Egan and a Sleeper "Wood" by Brian Bloomberg. I am not a Brian B fan most of his "smooth jazz pyrotechnique sweet string ladden puss" makes me want to throw up!, but Wood is a string bass trio CD, mostly blowing standreds, has excellent tone and the playing is really tastefull.