1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Bass sound in a modern shape

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ben Rose, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I'm looking for a bass that sounds like a 70's jazz, but is in a modern body style. I guess my biggest requirements are a maple fingerboard, very flat neck, no big azz heel block, and a small body. I'm looking for a 5 or 6 string. Could it be as simple as an FBass BN5? Is there anything that does it better? Is there anything that does it for less $$$?

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i know many will disagree, but i was going to say F Bass BN5

3. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pedulla Rapture :hyper:

4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I've been testing out an MTD Grendel that is just great!
    Incredible slap machine. I just put Chrome flats on it to try out at practice tonight.

Slim neck, smallish body, very well made. You could rip out the Barts and put Lindy's or some other type of J pu's to get that tone...

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Grendels are awesome slap machines, there is a loop playing when you reach my site that is a Grendel- for some reason i cant hear it using Safari web browser, my im told it is still there. They are a little chunky for me, for great , great tone.

6. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Do they make Grendels with maple fb's. I'll have to check out the site. I know that Celinder makes non-jazz style basses as well, but I'm not sure what price rane they are in. There is also the Benevente Vortex model. I like the Benevente's I've played, but they have had the ultra modern sounding Bene electronics in them. Maybe a VV with a Greengrove or Sad pre. I'd like to find a company that is known for making killer JBasses, but also makes other instruments. Can anyone comment on Marleaux?

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Grendels are no longer made- they were available with maple or wenge boards- if you want new, Saratogas are pretty close, but i think its Basswood instead of Poplar and the fingerboard choices are rosewood and maple- you will spend BIG bucks on a Celinder. IF you can find one, anywhere on the planet.

8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Yeah, I'm feeling that this will probably have to be a custom order. I know a guy in town with an ash/maple BN5. Maybe we can swap F Basses for a few days so I can check it out.

9. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Chris Stambaugh makes amazing custom instruments, and they're reasonably priced.

stambaughdesigns.com

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    It's still there if you know where to look ;)

http://www.accessbass.com/pages/slap.MP3

11. +1

I just bought a Stambaugh and I asked for a certain tone and Chris nailed it for me. I swear that's his best quality. Ask for a certain look and sound and he can deliver. Cheap for a custom too! Check out http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2229670&postcount=934 for a look see!

12. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    +1

I've got a chance to play a couple Fbasses, and they both did the J sound (what i feel the J sound is...) pretty well.

13. MAN that is the exact slap sound I'm looking for. Where can I find more info on the bass in this MP3?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw that you said they dont make them anymore.

14. +1 on both FBass (a very modern take on a J Bass... especially in single coil mode) and also Chris Stambaugh... incredible quality, totally custom, priced very reasonably (I think that might not last!).

Also, most custom basses that have the 'dual coil' pickups like Aero's and Seymours with a coil tap switch tend to do the J Bass thing pretty well in single coil mode.

15. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    click on my sig....

My Brubaker has a sweet jazz tone all the way. Meets you other requirements as well. If not the one I'm selling, check out the new NPB4's that just came out. They are not carved top, but have the same body shape, and a flamed maple pickguard for a more jazz bass vibe.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    Ristola Instruments Professional series bass (pictured below).

www.ristolainstruments.com

This bass nails the jazz bass on steriods sound. One of the best playing basses I've played as well.

Chris Stambaugh can build you a custom job that could do what you're looking for as well.

www.stambaughdesigns.com

17. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    That Brubaker is sweet, but I need at least 5 strings. I haven't seen any Ristolas before; that attachment looks hot. I love sunbursts. I may have to shoot Chris Stambaugh an email. Thank for all of the ideas, guys.

I think I might have to look into Kinal as well. I didn't like the one I played at NAMM, but that may just have been the combination of a high set-up and chambering. So many people rave about them. I have only played 2 basses with chambered bodies that sounded good to me.

I know this is blasphemy, but I don't think the FBass electronics package is what I'm looking for. Keep in mind that I already play a BN6 with an ebony board and it is a killer, but I'm looking for something that sounds more like the Sadowsky clips Adrian posted earlier, but without going to a traditional or even dinky Jazz shape..something with a brighter sound that has more spread than my F.

18. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I feel like I've got a freaking chameleon in my F Bass BN6. I can get a lot of variation in tone out of it, including something along the lines of what you've explained.

19. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I think one of the best sounding basses is the F Bass. I would definitely recommend checking out is the Ken Smith Jazz bass. Not a Ken Smith design. I think it's called the BSRJ. Neck feels like a jazz bass with Ken Smith electronics and craftsmanship. Can't go wrong with that combination

villis likes this.
  20. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

nordstrand???