Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass sounds so good, but I ordered a Bartolini MM Pup - mistake?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ok, I haven't got the new MM pickup in yet, and last night I think I might have had my best tone ever. I currently have two single coil Bartolini J's and a 3 band active eq in my jazz bass. I'm now afraid that if I put the MM Pup in the bridge position I'll lose that tone for good. I don't know what to do.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Of course, If it isn't something I like, I suppose I could just run the bridge single coil of the mm and it should still sound pretty good.

3. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    if it aint broke......

Aren't you going to have to make some cuts for the MM? That alone would slow me down, unless there was something really missing as it is.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Yes, the pickup cavity is going to have to be routed, but I have a very talented luthier here that will do it for me.

As for "if it ain't broke", I totally agree, but this is really the first time I have been this happy with my tone.

5. If you're looking for another sound, you might talk to your luthier about a series/parallel switch. J pickups ran in series will have a sound that's a little deeper and more aggressive than the normal single coil/parallel sound. You don't lose the sound you like, plus you gain another tool to boot.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

That is the route I was going to go with the MM style pickup with a DPDT switch wired parallel hb, bridge sc, and series hb. I think that even if I'm not crazy about the sound of the hb, I can switch it to the bridge single coil and get pretty damn close to my old sound back. Hell, maybe something better!

7. steve21

steve21 Banned

Save the MM for another bass? If this one's got awesome sound, wait for a new one to put the Bart in.

8. what made you buy the mm's in the first place? was it that you had tried everything and didnt like the barts?

secondly, is it that you havent been able to make it sound good in a certan room, but in another it sounds meraculus? cause that happens to everyone i think... its just a matter of setting things..

i suggest you save them untill they become a collectors item... lol either that or give them to me...

but in all seriousness, if you have to get rid of them, do it, but most of the time, to me, things like that arent worth the hastle... save it for another bass, or drop them in a different bass..... or, you said you know wa luther, have him build you a bass..

well anyway.. just my 2.43 cents....