Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass sounds!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jun 16, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, I noticed the other day watching the Primus videoplasty video, that Les Claypool uses a Jazz bass. The question is this Q. Does anyone know if he uses active pickups with an active circuit in the jazz bass? it sounds mighty good when he is slapping?

Another famous slap player who uses a Jazz bass is Daryl Jones (Rolling stones) does anyone know if he goes active?

The trouble is i'm so used to listening to active basses being slapped, i can't remember the sound of a passive bass being slapped!

I'm thinking of buying a Geddy Lee Jazz bass, and i was wondering what it is like for slapping, as it is with the passive sound.

Adios.

2. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Geddy Lee has a killer slap tone. Any Jazz with a maple neck and good pickups does. One with an ash body(Marcus Miller;)) is even better.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ahh but the MM has electronics out the proverbial gazoo.

My bone stock passive MIA Jazz V has a -killer- slap tone. Too bad I'm so bad at the technique! :)