Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bass special or p-bass special ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demolition, Apr 1, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I like to think that I know a good amount about the fender bass,but this one little enigma pertaining to the 2 basses I listed above has me stumped.
    I own a 85 Japanese jazz special(1 P bass p-up,1 Jazz p-up),while I owned the same bass but it was called a P-bass special,what gives ?
    My research has led me no-where,it does'nt have to do with one having a pick-gaurd and one not,nor is it about where it was made or when either,they both have a p-body and a j-neck no matter what model its called.
    I cannot figure why the same exact bass is called 2 different names,I ruled out all the obvious answers above and still can't figure out the reason.
    I tried this question on another site and got the reason being that one has a pick-gaurd and the other kind does'nt,but thats incorrect because I have owned both and proved it to be wrong,so if anyone can help out I would really appreciate it, its be driving me bonkers for some time now. :bassist:

2. Think of a P-bass special, and all its features.
    Now think of an Aerodyne Jazz bass.

Different bodies, but...

See what I mean?

I think it's Fender's version of coke, diet coke, caffeine free coke, caffeine free diet coke, et cetera.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a MIA 1982 p-bass special, it has three knobs and one pup. It looks just like a p-bass but with three knobs and a toogle switch. Is it possible the p-bass neck was non-original? that both body's are the same and the latter bass is a put together? Does your p-bass have any switching? Is it active? What letters do the serial# start with? Does the p-bass have gold hardware?

4. pyrohr, I have owned a P-bass like yours. The little toggle switch by the output jack is the selector for the active circuit, although I never did open up the electronics cavity to see if the center frequencies on the treble & bas controls could be changed. The headstock finish should match the body; it's a P-bass Special after all. You have a collector's item.

5. Dammit! I forgot to addres the original topic!
    If I were buying a 4-string, the J-Special would be the way to go.
    If I were buying a 5-string, I would go with the P-bass Special, since the necks would feel "in league" with each other (from a feel standpoint) for my tastes.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yeah buddy, It is a collectors item, and it's a walnut p-bass special at that. They are even more collectable!

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Got one of those too - although not walnut!

As to the original post, I have no idea.....but clearly Fender likes to re-use names of models form time to time.....to me it just adds confusion!

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    "I want to see what colour daddy's band is" - my 3 year old son Adam 02/10/02

That's Priceless!

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    They're the same. It just a name thing, the Jazz Bass Special was just renamed the Precision Special.

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Here are some Jazz Specials...they're all stock except the pewter fretless - I bought it from a friend who had installed active barts. IMO these are the nicest playing fenders out there and you can find them on Ebay from $250-$350.
    [​IMG]

11. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    My bass is the one thats second from the left,except its fretted.
    Untill now I have never seen that green/silver color on any other bass but mine,I'm not into having the colors that are synonomous with the Fender bass(sun-burst,black,white,ETC.)not that there's anything wrong with them being those colors,I just like odd colors rather than the norm.
    I did some research on this issue and its just that some years were called one thing,and some were called the other,no big scandel.
    I love mine ,it plays as well as any american p-bass I have ever come across,and its frett-work is un-matched by any standard in my eyes.
    Its truely a great bass, and for 300.00 $ plus up-grades IT ROCKS like no other !! :bassist:

12. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Damn this is confusing. There's a JP special on ebay right now. It's red and new.
    Now it's been posted that these are no longer being produced but this candy apple job is in every Musicians Friend catalogue i get for five-something.

Is there such an animal as this that has a P-style neck with the the additional jazz pickup? That's what i would want.

13. I have the (1989) MIJ Jazz Bass Special and it was always my understanding that the neck on the Jazz special was a Jazz neck? Mine also has the P/J pickup configuration.:meh:

Is the P Bass Special -neck the same as the Jazz bass special neck? They do not feel the same to me, that's why I chose the JS! :confused:

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Treena, I think if you were to compare the neck on our Japanese basses to a standard Jazz, you'd find that ours is just a tad wider at the nut - I've never taken measurements but it feels like it's somewhere in between a stock Jazz & Precision - neither of which I like as much (which is a big reason why I like these :D ). I had a '74 precision with a "B" neck (stolen unfortunately) - that is closest to what we've got I've seen on a American Fender. ;)

15. Thanks nysbob!

I just compared my 89' MIJ JS to both my 67' MIA Jazz Bass and my 67' MIA P bass, you're right the neck is somewhere in between! :meh:

I'm going to measure them and post back this evening.......

[​IMG]
    Treena

16. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hi All,

I've got a question about these. I'm kinda new to all this bass
    stuff too. But I've been doing my research. I do work on amps,
    guitar, bass, hi-fi, (anything with tubes) and an ocasional
    SS amp.

I'm looking for tonal references. I have a mid 80s Jazz bass,
    heck can someone tell me the date based on S/N? E 95073.

Then I recently picked up a 90s Alembic Essence bass.

Now, I'm wondering is it better to seek out a Jazz Special like
    y'all have been talking about here? or, find a nice used
    P bass? Does the Jazz Specials with the PJ pick up configuration also sound like a P bass? Is the pickup in the same location?

Didn't they make a 57 reissue p bass that are
    supposed to be pretty nice?

Any light or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Spike

17. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm sure precision purists will argue, but as far as I'm concerned, mine sound the same. I like the configuration because it allows me to dial in just a little more top end zing than you can get out a straight P without losing the fatness & thump - I generally run mine with P pickup wide open and the J at about 85%-90%. :)

Most of the American & Japanese reissues I've played have been very nice.

18. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Treena -I'm just curious as to whether you did the measuring... :confused: I don't have stock precision or jazz to compare to... :)