Jazz Bass Special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Glunkus, May 14, 2017.

1. Glunkus

Glunkus

May 11, 2017
    Howdy! A few months ago I went to a used music store and bought a Fender Jazz Bass for $500. The employee stated that it is an 80's Jazz Bass Special made in Japan. After further research, I was able to conclude that it is either from '88 or '89. I am very happy with it, as it plays incredibly and sounds better than any other I have played. However, upon looking up this model of Jazz Bass, I could not find anything that looked like mine. The headstock, however, says it is a Jazz Bass Special from Japan. Does anyone know why this might be? Thank you and have a good one ^_^

Attached Files:

2. Mathilda

Mathilda Inactive

Mar 31, 2017
    I like that matching black head.

Glunkus likes this.
  3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Hmm, someone who knows a lot more than I do will be along shortly, but I have to wonder if that is the original body.

Glunkus likes this.
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Despite the naming convention, Japanese-made Jazz Bass Specials had a Precision bodies with a P/J pickup configuration. (Think Duff McKagan's signature bass) At a glance, I'd say it's probably a parts-bass assembled from MIJ parts, since a fair number of their Jazz basses have the exposed grounding strip.

rickwebb, charl39, Kikegg and 3 others like this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Agreed. Jazz Bass Special neck and the rest is an unknown.

rickwebb and Glunkus like this.
  6. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Definitely a parts bass. It appears to be a NICE parts bass, but a parts bass nonetheless.

rickwebb, Malak the Mad and Glunkus like this.
  7. Rib 13

Rib 13

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    First of all, congrats -- Looks like a nice bass

I agree that its a parts bass...MIJ Jazz Bass Special neck but, as mentioned, wrong body...IF the body is a Fender (MIJ, MIK, Indo, or otherwise), its similar to a '62 Reissue just from casual observation of photos but theres discrepencies there too.....

still, its a looker...Hope it sounds as great as it looks :)

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Glunkus likes this.
  8. charl39

charl39

Jan 5, 2016
    Oxford, UK
    I have one as well, a dark metallic red body, rosewood neck, black headstock, which I bought in 1994 or so, also for about $500, so I think you probably got a very good deal, since I was offered $1000 for mine a few months ago (didn't sell it). I love it. Pretty much indestructible.

9. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Looks like an MIJ mutt of some kind - though a very nice one. The neck, tuners and bridge are indeed from a late 80s Jazz Bass Special, but the body looks to be from an MIJ Jazz (with an upgraded/fixed) grounding strip to the bridge. It could be any body, really - even a Geddy sig that had the Badass removed - but if it plays and sounds as good as you claim, then who cares? It's a keeper that you got a pretty good deal on. If you ever want an actual "Jazz" neck, you could easily find a taker for that one in trade.

jamzcl likes this.
  10. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    ^^^ That's what I think too.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022