1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass strap button location

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PeaveyPlayer, Nov 23, 2017.

1. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I have a mjt bass body and it came with no strap button hole

Does anyone know how to measure for where to put it?

For the bridge pin should it be aligned with the middle of the neck or bridge ?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The middle of the bridge is the same as the middle of the neck. If not, you have a problem.

Slater likes this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Check out the FenderBass website.

4. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I didnt seeanything

5. I don't think they actually get installed in the center:

jazz2.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I dpubt anyone will notice anyway. Looks like marking Center and the install half an inch north would be juuuust fine.

7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Close counts

8. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Conventional strap button placement is bad anyway.
    Balance will improve if you place the rear button on the front of the body, at the body top, just neckwards of the forearm contour.
    Or if you prefer it nearer the standard location, place it as high as possible, as close to the forearm contour as possible.
    It might also be good to put the horn button on the back of the horn.

9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Front? That would look terrible. There is, IME, next to no issue with the tip of the horn and conventional end of the body placement on a jazz. Not enough to goof it up like that anyway.

Different strokes I guess.

10. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Yes there's not much gain for putting the horn button on the back, although it means the strap doesn't twist as much, and if desired it can help tilt the bass forwards a little.
    Lookswise i always find a button is a little ugly on the tip of a horn.

The rear button placement makes a big difference to balance on a strap, but you need some understanding of mechanics and forces to see why.

Moving the rear button forwards means it is closer to the centre of mass (COM) of the instrument. The COM is near the highest fret, so with the bass horizontal the strap buttons are then roughly equal horizontal distances either side of the COM. This helps to equalise the forces on each end of the strap, therefore reducing or eliminating neckdive and making it more comfortable on the shoulder because the strap is not always pulling forwards on the shoulder.
    The advantages increasingly help the higher the angle of the neck.
    Mainstream bass design gives little thought to balance on a strap or on a leg. Traditional strap button location means at a playing angle of 45 degrees almost all the weight is on one end of the strap (the horn end).

This button placement also shifts the bass to the right. On a strap basses are generally too far to the left, which causes left arm health issues due to the stretch. However the bridge can be shifted to the right with no adverse affects on the right arm.

You can balance almost any bass with this method, i have a 8 string (4x2) flying V bass that is perfectly balanced due to this, as well as fixing it being to far shifted to the left.

'Look terrible'? It's not that bad, just something you're not used to. Buttons look bad whereever they are, but it's a minor issue, helped by using black buttons, and it's well worth the advantages.