jazz bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jan 18, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    What roundwound strings sound good with a Fender jazz? Or is it just user preference?

I play in a rock band and I want a good rock midrange growl.
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    It is user preference, but there are few brands that are very popular:

Thomastik Infeld makes damn good strings. I like the power bass strings, but the jazz rounds have a good reputation.

DR - I don't use these but they sound damn nice. I prefer using TIs myself, but these strings would probably make me happy as well.
  3. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    I just switched to La Bella string for a 4, and I play Southern Rock, Country, and Blues!
    My instructor plays these same strings but on a 6, playing Jazz so I guess I would come down to preference!
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i second the TI's...they have a really small guage outer wrap, so they're really comfortable...expensive, though...steve barr, the dude here at talkbass, also runs the dudepit, has the best prices on TI strings. Dean Markley sr2000's are great (steel taper wound strings) and i also like d'addario slowounds (nickel). DR lo-riders sound really great, too....and i think they are now available in either steel or nickel.
  5. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    If you want midrange growl: i.e. Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Billy Sheehan, and many others, use Rotosounds.....all of the afore mentioned use them.