1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Sweet Spot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vinxbass, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Last weekend I decided to play my Carvin LB75AP for the first 2 sets of my blues gig, instead of my '08' MIA Jazz V. At first, I said, "The Carvin's sounding alright." Then I plugged in the Jazz for the last set, OMG:eek:, what a difference. The Jazz seemed to fit right into the total mix of the band without any conflict from the other instrument's tonal frequencies.

I'm not bashing Carvin, though it may sound like it. It's just that I've played active basses for the last 28 yrs. and this passive Fender just blends in so nicely with the 3 bands that I play with and really, it sounds so much fuller.

I've played Ric, MM, Steinberger, Ibanez, Yamaha, Lakland and have stayed away from Fender all those years. I guess I can't believe how good this Jazz Bass sounds by itself or with a band. I'm sure alot of you feel the same way.;)

2. If you like that one, you might also want to check out a little known secret fender has called a "precision bass" :)

3. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    Been playing a Jazz for over 30 years. Have tried other basses (and I use an Essex as my occasional 5-string) but keep coming back to the Jazz. I've been assuming that I've been hearing it for so long that it just always sounds 'right' to me.

As I try other basses, I always ask my band mates for input. They always say "sounds great." No help. Bass cloak of invisibility. Finally, our new lead singer (a real musician) confessed that he has always liked the Jazz better than whatever else I've tried.

Interesting to hear another bass player say that it just sounds 'right.'

4. I've played with the same drummer for the last 24 yrs. and he says this is the best my bass has ever sounded. In fact, when I told him that I was playing a different bass he actually got mad at me.

5. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Yeah Vinx, I've heard your bass on video clips and have to say that's about as good as it gets. I'm recently converted to the jazz sound too.:) Just something about those single-coils that really puts the bass out in the mix.

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    LOL. I was at rehearsal a couple of days ago, playing away on a Jazz Bass. I switched to my Carvin LB70 and our guitar player says, "that bass sounds so much better, so much richer."

I do love that Carvin! You'll note, however, that I didn't go right out and sell my Fender! ;)

7. Nagan60

Nagan60

Jan 15, 2005
    Roanoke, VA
    I've never played a Carvin, but there are a lot of basses out there that has a nice clear sound. I think Fender represents the meat and potatoes of bass. I has a nice fundamental think sound to it that can also cut through when it needs to. I've owned several basses and I have found that Fender is my sound. I plan on putting down some $$$ to order a Custom Warrior bass, but Fender will always be my main go to bass. Musicman is another bass that I am entirely fond of as well. The Lakland 55-02 is a very close Fender sound alike......but Fender's have there own sound. Also I've found that I am starting to favor Fender's active basses versus passive. The sound that I like on passive is when it is wide open....I notice that when you roll the volume off say 50-50 each but a decrease in volume, you don't get the same sound as being wide open. You don't have that problem with active jazz basses.

8. Did you play your Carvin in active or passive? My drummer said the opposite. I listened to a recording of the other night and the Carvin actually sounded great out front in the mix, but on stage the Jazz sounded much fuller. BTW, I don't have any plans on selling the Carvin.

9. to my ear a jazz bass has a warmth to it, lacking in so many basses, particularly active ones. i think actives are often trying to boost the treble or upper mids or something but the passive single coils on a jazz just keeps the purest of bass tones.

i've not got experience with carvins, but i've recorded with various basses, active and passive with a mix of humbucking and single coil pickups and find that when i use a jazz bass in recordings it just...works.

a precision loses that also i feel.

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Active. I should note my LB70 has the J99 single coil pickups.

I like the description of a Jazz Bass as meat and potatoes. A Jazz Bass just fits in well with virtually any musical need.

11. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I have a MIM Jazz with D’addario Chromes on it and stock pickups. What I find irresistible about this bass is that if I:
    • have the neck pickup at max volume, and the bridge pickup at 85%-95%;
    • play fairly hard;
    • play just a bit closer to the neck than right above the bridge pickup
    I get the most amazing, percussive, thumpy, punch-you-in-the-face tone that I could almost use for an entire set, never touching another knob the entire night. Boom. *The* tone. De-licious.

12. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Its not only about the sound. They play great too!:D

13. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Yes, although how an instrument “plays” is determined at least in part on how easy it is to produce the right sound.

14. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    There are a lot of fans of non-Fender basses, but I have to say that passive Fender's just sound "right", and were THE sound of the bassists most of us listen to and respect even after Alembic introduced us to high-end active basses in 1969.

I was out bass-hunting last weekend and played nearly every 4-string bass in the store. I just kept coming back to the Jazz Bass. I have a Fender P-Bass Special (passive w/J-Bass pickup) and a passive Ibanez Roadstar RB650 with the same config, but the J-Bass wins for me every time, including the reduced nut width. It's the feel, the sound, the balance..... everything! And if you need it to be a bit different, there are lots of aftermarket pickups, bridges, etc. They're like an old Volkswagen Beetle, where you can just bolt-on and change stuff to your heart's content to make it your own.

Fender basses..... for me, they rule.

15. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I know where you're coming from . . . this past weekend I decided to switch from my brand new (three months old) brand "L" 5 string bass, and used my Fender MIA Jazz 4 string with Chromes (flats) . . . I could not believe my ears . . . I was in tone heaven! Now I want to sell my new 5 string! The Fender doesn't have that extremely low action of brand the "L," but it's all about the tone for me . . . the Fender does play dang well though!