1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass thinner thumb rest?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lupien, Apr 15, 2009.

1. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey, I just bought a American Vintage 75' Jazz bass and it has the thumb rest on there. I really like it when i'm just fingering but when I start slapping I always hit it with my thumb knuckle when I try to hit the E string, which actually makes me miss the string... I don't want to remove it because I like using it otherwise but if it would me a little tinner I wouldn't have that problem.

Does anybody know if the sell thinner thumb rest for a Jazz that I could replace this one with?

Thanks

2. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nobody ever had this issue? Or resolved it. I am getting used to it but I would still get a thinner one if I could find something.

3. Thumbrests are pretty much all the same, save for a small handful of odd designs.

I think you'd benefit more from adjusting your slap technique than swapping your thumbrest.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but there isn't a whole lot you can do in this situation.

Have you considered making one?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm with the last guy. With a small chunk of wood and a drill and some sandpaper you can make one. Or just move your thumb about and inch towards the fretboard and keep slappin.

5. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Maybe you could sand the side by the strings into a taper, getting smaller towards the top.