1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

jazz bass tone pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stormer, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    I recently picked up my jazz bass again and the tone pot is a bit funny.
    Regardless of which pickup is being used the tone control causes a big volume jump when turned any higher than 50%.

Do i need to get the tone pot replaced or is there a quick fix ?
    (the jazz has sat in the case for a few months while the pbass with flats got all my attention)

2. You can clean it but it prolly will foul up again anyway.

Is this a Fenderesque* Jazz Bass or a clone?

* This means that it's either a Fender or a Squier.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    do you run both volumes down a bit?

if so, that's what happens, the tone acts like another volume for the top of its rotation.

4. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    Its a '99 mia fender jazz.
    I have read that the tone pot can act as another volume control however this has never happened before (had bass since 2006).

Its really bugging me 'cos i know about it and if i want to thin the tone then i have to adjust volume also.....pain in the a$$.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if it's changed from past behavior, then yeah, you've got a dirty or bad pot.

6. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Sounds like typical Jazz operation. When I first noticed this I went back to the shop and tried other J basses - they were all the same

7. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    Thanks for the info guys, guess i need to break out the old soldering iron.

I noticed you are in my area Eckie, do you know the best repair guy to take it to ?

8. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    The GuitarGuitar tech is good but it'll be about £30 - 40 I guess. If you have a mate who's into any sort of electronic tinkering then it's not a difficult job and you could save a few £s.

But take a trip to GG and try some other Jazz's just to see if your's is definitely a fault

9. You'd have him try to find other Jazz basses to confirm he's got a dirty-bad pot?

None sense. (And asinine). A bad pot does not need to be compared to another bad pot to ascertain the validity of it's malfunction. Besides --- testing other Jazz basses because you think they all are somehow defective is troll-ish in content.

10. You'd have him try to find other Jazz basses to confirm what you say is a defect in ALL Jazz basses just because he's got a dirty-bad pot?

Nonsense. (and asinine). A bad pot does not need to be compared to another bad pot to ascertain the validity of it's malfunction. Besides --- testing other Jazz basses because you think they all are defective is troll-ish in content.

11. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    I'll probably take it in to GG tomorrow, I've been itching to go and try out a few new basses anyway.

12. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    if you read the original post, walterw's and mine and engaged your brain before you posted (twice) you'd have saved yourself from looking stupid.

13. Hey - just to make your day::: :spit:

14. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Whatever - thats three times you've looked stupid now but you probably can't count that far!

15. Since you feel so superior now, then I've accomplished my mission.