Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass- too twangy?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Keepitcoolidge, Oct 27, 2005.

1. I reallllllllly realllllllly love my J-bass, but I'm sick of that "twangy tone" I get from those pick-ups when I slap (slappings supposed to sound twangy, right?:lol: ). Its hard to describe exactly what I want- but I need some advice pronto (preferably a p-up or mod. that will give me more "lowend" when I slap- think musicman slap tone).

:help: :help: :help:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    what are your settings on the bass when you slap?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Try reducing treble and if your rig has a tweeter in it, turn it off. Also, you may want to try flats so you can slap 70's old school.

4. If the tone is wrong, why not eq it before ripping it apart?

A lot of slappers use a mid scoop type eq setting.

Twang and jazz bass tone is full of mids, so cut some out.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Don't slap then - simple!! :p

6. There are lot's of different 'flavors' of slap sounds. The classic J Bass slap sound is one of the best IMO. However, that 70's J Bass slap tone is also one of the hardest to reproduce live, due to the very wide frequency response of that tone, from huge thundering lows to the highest of high sizzle (ala Marcus Miller). That tone is an 'amp destroyer' and will bring out every little 'problem' with a rig... whether it be a lack of headroom, a harsh sounding crossover or tweeter, honky sounding drivers, etc.

It is also one of the more difficult tones in relation to technique... with those super sizzly highs and upper mids magnifying every slight problem with technique.

So... I guess my first question is.... what kind of slap sound are you going for.... is it the classic Marcus Miller 70's active J Bass thing, a more modern 'Norm Stockton' type tone, an old school P Bass tone, etc.? You mentioned a MM slap tone... which is a also considered a classic slap tone ala Louis Johnson. That's a very different tone from the J Bass type thing.... if you want to get closer to that... an on-board preamp can go a long way, and possibly some more 'humbucker' sounding stacked pickups.

If the answer is a Marcus-type tone.... then possibly a change of strings, an on-board preamp, and lot's of work on technique :D might get you there. If, on the other hand, after listening to recordings, etc., the J Bass sound is not what you are hearing in your head.... you might want to start thinking about getting a bass that will get you closer to the sound you are hearing in your head.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    On board Pre for mid - cut and maybe a little bass boost. Often not as my normal tone is pretty full. I'm runing Bart 9J's on the bass that I slap on and it does fine. (I on the other hand am not a great slapper. Got a few licks but that's all.)

The full build up on that one is
    1 pc Swamp Ash body, BA II bridge, Fender MIA Deluxe pre, Bart 9J's, D'Addario half rounds, R/W neck.

If you're slapping live, one thing to be wary of is adding too much bass you get the big 'thud' from your thumb, but that often comes at the expense of note definition or clarity which is also a part of the equation. Not to mention that if the room you're playing in has marginal acoustics, you may boom in some parts and be flat as a pancake in others. Cutting the mids, maybe the highs can be a better approach.