1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

jazz bass tortoise pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamaica, Aug 23, 2012.

1. jamaica

jamaica

Feb 11, 2003
    Hi all,

I bought a heavy relic olympic white CS '64 Fender jazz bass.

Very marvellous but the tortoise pickguard is unwatchable..

Do You know an on-line shop where I can buy a beautiful jazz bass tortoise pickguard?

I mean a tortoise pickguard "more red" than the original Fender and more similar to the original of the sixties

Thanks

Regards,

2. jamaica

jamaica

Feb 11, 2003
  3. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    How about this: Montreux Real Celluloid 62 JB Pickguard

P.S.:
    I have the brown Montreux PG on my 74 Jazz - I know, it's a different screwhole pattern, but it looks gorgious, anyway. I love brown tort.

7836122764_a41bfa711c_c.

4. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Every pickguard I've replaced has needed a little sanding at the neck pocket or where it meets the control plate,but if you want an exact no touch-up drop in,send your 'guard to Jeannie's or Pickguardian..

5. jamaica

jamaica

Feb 11, 2003
    I already have this montreux pickguard..on picture looks more red than in reality...in the reality is not too much different from the fender custom shop

6. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    How about something like that, from Warmoth? You can buy blank sheets, too. ;) I just received a blank tortoise shell sheet to have a custom-cut pickguard for my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz, and it is a true beauty.

Can you post a picture of your Jazz with the stock tort pickguard?

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    IMO it's REALLY hard to match the real 60's tort nowadays. Few pickguard manufacturers do it correctly.

8. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    Well, if you say so.... From the different kinds offered on the Thomann page, I kinda assumed they come in several different color varieties. :confused:

9. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
  10. IMO none of them do it correctly....they just don't have the depth and complexity in the pattern that the old ones have (supposedly the blanks were made by one company in Italy, now gone)....you could always look for a real vintage one but they're ridiculously expensive.