Jazz Bass tuned BEAD ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Mar 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I only have one bass tuned BEAD and I'd like to add another to the arsenal. I've never liked the feel of a 5 string for some reason. It's just never been comfortable or natural and I just prefer the four string feel. I'm just looking for pics of any BEAD jazz that you guys have, basically to convince me to buy another bass..hahaha...throw em at me!!

2. One of my favorite local players plays a jazz tuned down to B. Crazy modded mim standard jazz. Seymour Duncan quarter pounder pickups, no pots at all just an on/off toggle sounds nasty and I mean that in a good way.

3. Bassman474

Bassman474

Sep 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Tim Commerford from Rage against the machine had seceral jazzes tuned BEAD.

lz4005 likes this.
  4. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I mostly play 5ers and the two 4 stringers I have are tuned BEAD. One is an Epiphone Viola, the other is an 88€ P-bass kit build I upgraded to a reverse P+J. It sounds and plays amazingly good.

I say go for it. If I had the money I'd definitely have a MIJ Geddy Jazz tuned BEAD for sure.

5. Thanks for the replies. I'm justifying going from five basses to seven, but I think this would be a nice addition. I like the Ibanez SRX that I have tuned BEAD, just wondering if I want to go Jazz, another Ibanez SRX or possibly an ATK. Most of the sound I have now is coming from the zoom effects unit I've been messing with so I just want that thin neck and the playability. Damn GAS...haha

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I currently have my Geddy Lee jazz bass tuned BEAD, but I'll be changing it back to standard soon as I just picked up an actual 5-string.

7. Blaze1596

Blaze1596

Aug 12, 2019
    Hey for the BEAD tuning, do you use a typical set of strings for a 4 string bass? Or do you pick up a set for a 5 string bass and use the lower 4 strings of the 5?

8. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    You will need to get a 5 string set and toss the G string.

9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    5-string set and lose the G. Depending on your bass and what gauge of strings you choose, you may also want to have a reputable tech modify the nut to accept the thicker strings. I've had this done on multiple basses over the years and never had any trouble going back to standard EADG gauges.

10. Blaze1596

Blaze1596

Aug 12, 2019
    Thanks for the quick replies with this post being pretty old. I currently use a MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass tuned to DGCF with the DR DDT strings. I’ve messed with 5 string basses, but never owned one before. Any recommendations on strings?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022