1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass turns into a G&L good save!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Jul 7, 2003.

1. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    I recently got a Lakland 55-94 deluxe and it knocked me off my feet. I also had a 2000 MIA Fender Jazz with EMG's (For the record the stock pup's sounded better). I got the bright idea to trade the Jazz for something fun, a Gibson Thunderbird. It was not the bass for me for a few reasons. I re-traded my friend for an older Ken Smith 4 a definite upgrade but still not quite "it". I traded that for a 97 G&L SB1. A great bass but not a lot of tonal variety, plus the neck was a little ill.
    I traded the G&L for a high end Ibanez Soundgear 1300 complete with exotic woods and all ( Paduk, bubingga, and an ebony fretboard. A Warwick wanna be. Quite a nice tone but over time I came to realize that the neck was a little thin for me and I wanted another Fender. Nothing quite like a Fender ya know?
    I remember seeing this old beat up 1984 G&L SB1 with flatwounds for only $450. at the local G&L store (Buffalo Bros.). I always wondered if it might be a diamond in the rough so I took a chance and traded the Ibanez straight across and picked up a set of DR lowbeams on the way home. I took it apart and scrubbed that bass clean, had it set up and ta da.
    This sucker smokes!!! Talk about a good honest chunky peice of "Fender-bass"! I played it at rehearsal and it's the fattest sounding most bite bass by Leo that I've ever played. I think I even prefer it to the Jazz. So through this time of trading I was getting bummed thinking myself foolish and picky. But I think I landed on top on this one plus I had the pleasure of owning 6 basses in the process. Hence the title good save.
    By the way the Lakland is still my #1, but dang the G&L is fun.