1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass upgrade MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Callum27, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Callum27

Callum27

Aug 12, 2007
    berkshire, uk
    Ok so i did a search, but i couldn't find anything about an MIM jazz bass upgrade. My First question is whats in the upgrade?, My second is, is it better than the previous jazz bass? and can i have lots of opinions on it :), At current i have a yamaha rbx 170 but i don't have more than £350 and i want to buy new so i thought this is really the only step up.

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The MIM Jazz basses were upgraded a few years ago the upgrades were better pickups,Bridge and tuners. Also Better electronics. Sound is much improved and the bridge and tuners stay in tune much better then before.

3. Callum27

Callum27

Aug 12, 2007
    berkshire, uk
    thanks, so it looks like there worth buying if there better than the old MIM, Also are these more consistant than the previous MIM's or is it still hit and miss?

4. Callum27

Callum27

Aug 12, 2007
    berkshire, uk
    bump, more consistent or not?

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    They are more consistent but still not at the point where every one is a Sweet player. Check them out before you buy or get a guarantee that you can return it if you are not happy.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have a 1997 MIM Fretless Jazz that plays, sounds and looks great. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I am just impressed that the bass was that nice for $250 used.

7. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i got s new Jazz MIM not to long ago and i think its amazing.

8. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    I purchased a new '06 Delexue J-Bass V at GC early this year with no case/bag for about $520. It played great, sounded good, and was fairly light at 9.5 lbs. I wanted a bass that I could play out with when the club was too much of a dive to bring my Sadowsky NYC Vintage 5 which cost about $3,400 a few years back.

There are some really nice MIM Fenders out there and they're a good value. With a proper set-up many of them are very good right out of box.

They're also inexpensive enough that you can make them a lot better with some aftermarket parts for not too much more money.

Here are some upgrades that I recommend; many will apply to more than just the Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V.

1. Add self adhesive copper sheilding to the bottom of the p.u. routs and control cavity. My bass used to be very noisy and buzz quite a bit; this helped a lot. I don't think that there was any sheilding on my bass. Cost: $10

2. Although the pickups aren't bad they're not really great so I put in single coil Norstrands. The B string actually sounded MUCH better and overall the sound was improved too. Although, the output level was much lower. Cost: $180

3. Because the Norstrands and stock pre-amp weren't matched very well I upgraded to a Aguilar OBP-2 like Carey Norstrand recommended. This fixed the output problem and the bass sounded even better. In my opinion the stock preamp colors the sound too much; it's scooped in the mids and the center frequency for the treble (somewhere around 8 khz) is too high. Cost: $120

4. The string retainer on the headstock of the five string is annoying. Hipshot makes a quick release version that's a direct replacment found on USA Fenders. Cost: $12.

5. The bridge had string spacing that was tighter than it needed to be based on the width of the neck and pole pieces on the pickups, so I changed that too. There is a nice off-brand replacement bridge at basspartsresource.com that increases the overall spread of the strings at the bridge to 2 13/16". The actual string spacing increases from 17mm to 18mm. This might not sound like much, but it makes a big difference when you've been playing Fenders your whole life with 19mm string spacing. Cost: $25.

With my free labor and almost $400 I made a good cheap bass into a great bass; a real "players" axe. My MIM Fender was definately worthy of these upgrades and I'm sure that there's a lot of other ones out there equally as good.

Remember, most of these basses will need to have the neck adjusted and a proper set-up, so don't be turned off to a bass because it doesn't play very well. Have the music store do a set-up on the bass, if you can't do it yourself or if they are unwilling to let you do it.

9. Callum27

Callum27

Aug 12, 2007
    berkshire, uk
    i got a fender jazz today, oh my god it was freaking amazing, it played like butter, really nice it was a sunburst one that was ex display model for £350 inc bag and other stuff, but im not quite sure if its been set up or what year it is. Is it possible to check the serial number to find out the age? i know the model number has 6200 in and that its the upgrade, i just want to know wethere its 06 or 07 without having to travel to the music store again. Also how much will it cost to have it set up?

10. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    You can go to Fender's website to find out the year of production by the serial number. You probably do have a 2006 or 2007.

It sounds like you don't need a setup. Any good music store will make sure their instruments are properly adjusted. I'm sure that your bass was setup recently.

Your bass should have come with a owners manual. There are good instructions on how to check and adjust everything on your bass in the owners manual; it's really very simple to do a setup. They even tell you what you need such as a 6" steel ruler with 1/64" increments, a capo, a #1 phillips screwdriver, allen wrenches (3/16" and 1.5mm which should have come with your bass) and a elctronic guitar/bass tuner.

If your bass didn't come with a owners manual you can view all of the bass setup instructions on Fenders website. It's really easy; you can maintain the bass yourself and save your money.

I wouldn't be surprised if the basses that are exported are held to a slightly higher standard. So I'm sure that your bass is great.

Best of luck to you with your new bass.