Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Anybody have any recommendations for some good replacement pickups for a J-bass. I want some humbuckers to clean up the noise. I also want to retain the J-bass sound (good growl, no modern slap stuff). I could use a little more bottom end.

Also who makes a good active preamp upgrade for the J-bass?

What about a combination pickup/preamp upgrade?

Thanks,

2. Why not slap some EMG's in there. They come pre-wired and ready to go.

They aren't humbuckers, but they are pretty clean sounding already.

3. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Id suggest slapping an ABM bridge on there, which would help a lot, and then maybe putting in some bartolini or seymour duncan stacked humbuckers (someone else will have do give you the exact types, im not sure), and then either a bartolini NTMB (?) or aguilar OBM-1 preamp. All of the above would just be killer.

I dont think EMGs, while easier to install, would be a good idea. They dont have the same low end as the others do, and they are probably a bit modern sounding.

4. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I have EMGs (...of somekind) in my -78 jazz and they sound really great. The sound is way more powerful than it used to be and has those rich highs that I like. And the slap tone is awesome because it is NOT modern! It's that huge, heavy and cutting dwang dwang slapsound with powerful mid-frequencies that I had to look years for.

5. Dimarzio DP123's. I've got them on both my cheap Jazzes. Humbucking individually, great sound. $90 for the pair.

chris

6. What about the Moon AC-1 Preamp? Where can I find one of those?

7. I understand there are many pup upgrades for j-bass, and thebridge replacement helps a lot too. For a on board pre amp the j-retro i understand is very good. Check it out at vintagebass.com, I am thinking of doing these upgrades to my mim jazz, as soon as i save up enough money. check out www.fenderforum.com, also for more info.
    eddie

8. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    I have two Fender MIM Jazz basses (one fretless) and I like my Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders for Jazz. I did try the EMGs, but disliked the tone. Maybe you can still find jazz pickup "shootouts" on bassplayer.com

Quarter Pounders are not rated best, but I just like them. And they're not too expensive.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I have a set of emg actives in my hamer and they sound hot, ive thought about swappin them out in my mim jazz bass deluxe. (aint touchin my mia deluxe tho)

Just an idea, the mim deluxe active jazz, has 2 stacked humbuckers in it and an active preamp, and imo is a very good sounding bass. maybe you can order the etronics and pickups for either the mia jazz bass deluxe or mim jazz bass deluxe and slap them in your jazz bass.

11. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    dimarzio dp123's put them on my squier vintage mod jazz(dont be fooled by the price great bass no mods) and it changed the bass. Thinker tone more output. 10\10

12. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    Plus one or two on the DiMarzio DP123, AKA Model J. They are VERY PHAT and have a good J sound. Read SMASH's J pickup thread. It's sticky'd at the top of the Pickup forum. I found it very helpful.

On the preamp subject, I've heard great things about the J Retro, but I'm kind of a passive guy and I'm thinking about getting a JX5 control plate assembly from Rothstein. http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_pw_bass1_passive.html Lots of sounds + No batteries + Looks completely stock = Awesome.

13. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    How much do you want to spend?

14. Holy crap! This thread is from 2001.

15. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    Geez! I had to look back and make sure that I didn't accidentally resurrect it somehow.

Of course, the OP may not have found a suitable set of pickups yet... and he may have died of old age...

16. Not that this matters, but this thread was started BEFORE 9/11/2001 when the world was a little different. Kinda neat.

17. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Quick! Get the shotgun! There are zombies afoot.