Jazz bass volume balance tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Axtman, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Has anyone converted their Jazz type bass to an overall volume, balance, and tone control? I like the tone of my Jazz bass but hate screwing around with two volume controls.

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Screenshot_2018-09-07-17-26-38-841_com.android.chrome.png
    Hope you can do it first , later report here. Tq

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Ive done it. I always run neck 100% and dial bridge to taste, usually up where it’s still humbucking and adding bark but back enough so its not too nasal. Right there, i always get the fat ltest sound which i prefer. Blend works great for this. I’ve noticed no degradation of tone.

Blend will limit you from the nearly infinite possibilities of two volumes though. Everything is a compromise.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't know why this myth persists. There is literally no mix of pickups you can't get with a master vol and blend that you can get with two volumes.

5. Lefty McGee

Lefty McGee

Jun 7, 2018
    I have a Stingray clone that was wired like a J-Bass, upgraded the pickup and converted to master volume / master tone. Love it. I also have a Fender J-Bass but I like having the 2 volume controls on it.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Because it's not a myth.
    A volume / balance has three resistances connected to ground, while volume/volume is only two.
    Those mixes you think are the same with a V/B won't sound the same as a V/V, because of more degradation of the signal (leaking to ground).

Wisebass, wesonbass and 96tbird like this.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Because one pickup is always 100% on and only the other is attenuated. Not so with 2 vols. Nature of the beast.

However, it’s not noticeable as there’s still lots of tweaking to be had between the blend and master. But adding another resistance path changes the game.

8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's tone, which of course you're right about, but we're not talking tone, we're talking the mix of pickups.

Personally I hate blend and master volume in a passive system because I don't want to run my pickup through any more pots than absolutely necessary. But purely in terms of being able to select any amount of either pickup, there's no combination you can't get with MB you can get with VV.

Literally false. Turn down the master and that pickup isn't at 100% anymore. There is no mix between the two you can't achieve.

ELynx likes this.
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

There also is no need to have 3 ground points on a CBT setup, since the blend doesn't require one.
    I have studied, measured and debunked this legend more times than I can count but people tend to be stubborn about it.

10. Killed_by_Death

If you don't ground the blend pot you can not fully solo one pickup, because the one being attenuated is never fully shut off. We're not stubborn about it, it's Physics:

DisloyalSpecificAndeancat-size_restricted.gif

96tbird and mikewalker like this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

With me a JB is a set and forget bass for the most part. I’ve got both volumes at 85% and the tone dialed to taste. After that it’s in the hands.

12. Killed_by_Death

Some folks do volume swells with the bass's volume knob & TBH you could with two volume knobs, but it would mean having to lay a finger or side of your palm against both knobs & roll them simultaneously.
    It might not be so elegant, but neither is three-string chords with your fingers (which people do).

13. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I went from VVT to VBT when I changed my pickups to Wildes. This works great for my purposes since I tend to run my volume on 10 and pretty much only use neck pickup soloed or an equal blend of both pickups. One volume knob to kill the sound or make a small adjustment is ideal.

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

uh, yes and the dimmed pickup output drops the same amount resulting in the same pup mix, just quieter.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    You should try it and see how it works out for your use of the controls. There are pros and cons with both methods.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021