Jazz bass vs. Rickenbacker 4001/4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AstralTraveler, Aug 24, 2004.

1. AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    How do the sound of these compare? Geddy Lee said he switched to the Jazz because it had more ass than the Rick, which he said was lacking low end.
  2. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Those two basses are apples and oranges. I own a Rick 4001 and a Fender Jazz. Totally different basses, however I will say this, the Rick has a unique sound all it's own. The Jazz is more generic IMO. ;)
  3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Just bought a Ric. I like it better than my Jazz. I don't find the Ric lacking any ass whatsoever. I wonder if Geddy is a little biased since they named a J bass after him...... :eyebrow:
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I love the sound of Rics.

Jazz basses are okay, I might be jaded, but my feelings have been wishy-washy towards them. Sometimes like them, sometimes not so much.

I've tried fretless of each, and while the J-bass sounds smoother; the Ric was capable of a wider range of tones. It could be really in-your-face, or it could roll off some and rest in the background (though still be in-your-face).
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Old Ricks (like Geddy's) you may have a little trouble getting the low end you want (due to a highpass capacitor wired in series with the bridge pickup), but newer Ricks (from about 1989 on)... no problem (or you could take that capacitor out.)

Someone should hand Geddy a bright shiny new 4003. ;)
  6. I don't think Fender would like that much.
  7. Of all the A vs B threads that I've seen on Talkbass, IMHO is the most apples vs oranges ever. I think the two basses are so different sounding, playing, looking.....etc.
  8. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I have both and I lean towards the Rick because there is something different about them that does not come up in the Jazz. There are times where people want a certain sound and they go with it. I have ALWAYS been a Rick fan so I may be a little biased but I have the other basses too and they have unique applications. I 'll stick with the Rick, almost EVERYBODY has some kind of jazz but not as many have Ricks.
  9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

gotta go with the jazz.
  10. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Had a 4003 modded with a badass II and SD humbuckers. Man....best playing, sounding and looking 4 string I ever owned.
  11. GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I used to own both a 70's jazz & a '74 rick 4001 & I loved the way both played, but hated the way the Rick sounded (& I had several amps, so it wasn't the amp). I loved everything about that Damn 4001 except the pups (originals). Now I wish I still had it... I paid $425 for it w/ no case then later sold it for the same amout. :crying:
  12. I think you can get a Rickenbackeresque sound out of a Jazz, I have been fooled before. Also, listen to Rex Brown's playing, he has a Rickenbackerish sound, but it's a spector.
  13. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I started playing bass in 1980 with an el cheapo. When it came time to buy a good bass in 1982, I looekd at what my idols were using and reasoned, "if Geddy uses a Ric and if Chris uses a Ric, then it's good enough for me". I just coudl not stand playing it; a Fender P-Bass was just more me. I later switched to J-Basses.

Over teh years, I have tried hudnreds of basses and have not found anything I like more than a Fender Jazz.

My point is don't get a bass becuase of influence, get a bass becuase you love how it feels and how it plays! :)
  14. lull&smooth

Jun 21, 2004
    all about the j-bass, ricks :spit: just arn't my taste
  15. j-bass

Feb 5, 2004
    Jazz for sure, ricks are cool in their own way but are just so cumersome to play.
  16. Older Rics do not fare well in the Ontario climate. In the summertime it's similar to Pennsylvania here with temperature in the '90s and extremly high humidity, then plunging into the frigid cold for several months. Having owned two older Rics I can attest to this causing problems. It was a constant fight to prevent the dreaded "propeller warp". This is likely not true of the newer models, but I have no experience with them.

Rics are exceptional instruments and sound fantastic but in the end the Jazz is just a lot more convenient to own here.
  17. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

If I had to choose in terms of tone only and playing in a band - I'd go with a Jazz. Rics have a great and fairly unique tone but I wouldn't want to be fighting with it to try and make it work where it won't. Plus with a J style pup you have an endless array of options for pup replacement but with a Ric you're basically stuck. The jazz is just a lot more flexible and practical bass.
  18. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Geddy was actually playing that Jazz bass a few years before Fender named a signature model after him.I saw him use one on the Hokus Pokus tour.I never owned one but I did always appreciate the tone of them and BTW,if there are a few of you here at TB thinks that the Ric is lacking in ass,then might I suggest that you listen some old Parliment Funkadelic with Cordell Musoon on bass.He is using a black Ric ( the same one he was using for years)on those cuts as well as the live cuts
  19. I've owned a couple of each, and IMHO there is no comparison. Both really nice in there own right!!
    I was blessed with a really kick ass jbass and one that was just so so. and two really sweet ricks. They all sounded and felt differnent.

Its like asking a chef whats better a boning knife or a serated carving knife. yea there both sharp,made of metal, have a handle, and cut things. But ones better for boning a salmon and the others better for slicing roast beef.

Just tools But if had to choose only one it would be the Jbass, (sorry all you rick guys) :D
  20. Geddy recorded Moving Pictures with the Jazz bass that he now plays. I had a 4001 & traded it away for the same reason--no low end. I am considering getting a 4003 since I heard(as mentioned above) that they have a lot more bottom end.