1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass wiring - humbuckers with blend

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by webelo, Jul 25, 2012.

1. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
  2. No, but you should do VVT instead. Works better.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Can you explain how it works "better"?

I like my basses with VBT better than VVT.

4. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
    Too late, I've already ordered the parts to do VBT. I don't know about "working better," but I'm sure for some people VVT is the way to go. This is my first J bass, so I'm not very familiar with VVT or VBT, but what I am used to are 3-way switches. I play in an indie rock group, so I'm not needed to squeak out all sorts of tones. I'm really just looking to easily blend between pickups. So, blend pot it is for me.

5. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    There's a thread somewhere on TB about *not* hooking up the blend pot to ground, and getting better tone that way.

I haven't tried it myself, so I can't speak directly to this....

6. VBT adds a pot to the circuit that VVT does not..... In a passive bass this affects tone in a meaningful way. With VBT, anytime you have the master volume less than full, and you have the blend off center, you feed the lesser volume pickup through two volume pots instead of just one. It makes a difference. If this doesn't matter to you, great.

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Not true. It's all a mater of choosing the right value parts.

On a Jazz bass with two 250k pots (we will ignore the tone pot for this example), you have a combined loading of 125k on the pickups.

Now take a bass with a blend and a master volume. Lets use a 500k blend and a 250k volume. The two blend pot decks in parallel are 250k. Add the 250k master volume, and you have, 125k. Exactly as with the two volume pots.

So now we have shown that a master volume and blend will not change the tone of the bass.

What you gain in this arraignment is being able to change the blend of the pickups with one knob, and not two, and to be able to change the overall level while maintaing your pickup blend. It's much quicker to blend with one knob than two.

With an M/N taper blend, when the pot is at the center detent, you have full volume to the both pickups. There is only a small amount of distance you can move before you lose one pickup to the other (same thing on a VVT setup), so in essence it's just like pulling back one volume pot on a VVT bass.

If you are worried about losing tone, don't turn the master volume down. There's rarely a reason to do so.

I own basses with both kinds of controls, and the blend is more convenient to use, and I don't lose any treble response as compare to the VVT bass.

8. We differ here. I change volume often. And in practice, it's no quicker having a blend. I turn both volumes at the same time, with my thumb and middle finger. It's no big deal.
    Whatever. Preferences.

9. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
    I had read this too. I'll plan on leaving the blend pot ungrounded.

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Right, preferences. One is not better, which was your original claim.

Turning down your volumes will dull your tone on a passive bass.

11. I am intensely aware of this. I use it to my advantage.
    Better/ not better? Why has fender continued to offer the jazz only as VVT? I haven't done the research, but I'm fairly certain that most passive basses are made this way. There's a reason for this.

12. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
    The new Reverend basses are V/B/T.

But anyway... am I good to go on wiring up the V/B/T the same way with humbuckers as I am with single-coils?

13. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hmm, since this is recent thread, I wonder if I can throw out a few potentially related questions while I may have at least a few folks' attention...

1) I like the idea of VBT for a custom jazz bass project, but can it be done with a series-parallel push-pull volume knob?

2) I've also read a few posts here are elsewhere in which people claim VBT is better for active than passive basses, but I am unclear why that might be so. Any thoughts? (I'm not interested in going active at this time.)

3) Finally, is VBT -- with or without the series-parallel mod -- equally appropriate and effective for humbuckers or singles?

Curious to know what you all think. THANKS!

14. Yes, it will work the same way with either type of pickup.