1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass wiring issue (warning SX content)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by runwfo, Oct 15, 2010.

1. runwfo

runwfo

Jul 20, 2008
    I have an SX Jazz that's a few years old. Fishhook headstock. I purchased a used loaded control plate with high quality 250K full size pots. It appears to be factory wired and matches standard Jazz schematics on the web. I replaced the entire SX control plate, which appeared to be wired the same. I kept the SX pickups (which sound great IMHO).

The volume and tone controls appear to be working correctly except when both volumes are turned completely OFF, I still get a significant signal to the amp.

I double checked all wiring. The only difference I noticed is the SX pickups each have a single shielded wire. I connected the outer shield as ground with the inner core to each respective volume pot.

Any ideas on what it wrong?

Thanks for any input.:help:

2. BillJarrett

BillJarrett

Jul 25, 2010
    Jensen Beach, Florida
    Manager, Jam Music
    Sounds like one of the new pots is having some bleed-through. It's possible you just a faulty one with a defective disk.

Try to test this is you have access to a multimeter.

3. It sounds like the third terminal of each pot is not grounded.

If you have an ohm meter, check the resistance between the wiper terminal of each volume pot and ground with the volumes rolled all the way down. It should be 0 ohms.

4. runwfo

runwfo

Jul 20, 2008
    The third lug on the bridge volume pot was bent back to ground to the housing but not soldered. Fixing that corrected the problem.

THANKS !!!:hyper: