1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass wiring problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tim Harrison, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

Apr 8, 2006
    hey all,

just rewired my jazz bass (squier VM) and it was working fine until i attached it all to the control plate. then it all just cut out.

it turns out everytime any of the pots come in to contact with the control plate it just completely cuts out.

anyone know how i can fix this?

cheers,
    tim

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

Apr 8, 2006
  3. mccartjm

mccartjm

Oct 10, 2006
    are the legs on any of the pots shorting out or touching the metal on the control plate? any freyed wire touching anything on the control plate? that's the first things i would look for.

4. mccartjm

mccartjm

Oct 10, 2006
    do you have a wire going from the back of the tone pot where all your pup grounds are to the bridge ground?

5. Can you upload a pic of your control assembly?

6. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

Apr 8, 2006
    hey, thanks for the help. sorry, i cant upload a pic as i dont have a camera with me.

none of the legs or are shorting out or touching the metal on the control plate, nor any wire, and all the grounds are connected.

7. Wow, I'm stumped...I would try a different wiring diagram, maybe standard Jazz, or one of the options at Seymour Duncan.

Or try different pots.

8. Hey...are you sure you got the + / - right on the output jack

(tip / ring)

9. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

Apr 8, 2006
    ok, thanks for the help,

there's a wired control plate on ebay for about a tenner (20 dollars) i think i'll get.

thanks again,
    tim