Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass wiring question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Jan 31, 2003.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Alright all you soldering pros... help the beginner out! This is my first shot at assembling a j bass from scratch, so I need some help. the following link has a schematic for a j bass:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics/jazz_bass.html

It matches what I have seen it other jazz basses, so I am assured this is the way to go... however, I am not sure what the thing labeled .022 on the Master Tone Pot is and what to call it... could someone tell me what the hell it is so I can go to town and pick one up? Thanks for the help in advance!

P@

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's called a Capasitor (sp?). You should be able to find one @ a local Radio Shack & they're very inexpensive!!!!

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    ahhh.... Nino to the rescue! Thats what I thought it was, just wasn't sure! Thanks bro...

P@

4. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
  5. I thought standard JB wiring used a .047 uf capacitor...

Boy, if you knew how anal I feel posting this, but I can't resist the possibility SD might be wrong!

6. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    You are correct Andy. .022 capacitors are usually used with 500k pots and humbuckers, and .047's are generally used 250K pots and single coils. This is not hard and fast - they can be interchanged and will have different effects on tone. An .022 will sound brighter and have less effect than an .047.
    Good luck.

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Just for the information of it all, I bought 3 Fender 250k Solid Shaft pots today, and they all came with a .022 capacitor... now I have plenty to spare!

P@

8. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I wouldn't suggest using an audio taper pot for tone control, the effect on tone will seem uneven, instead use a liniear pot.

9. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wouldn't suggest using an audio taper pot for tone control, the effect on tone will seem uneven, instead use a liniear pot.

Hey Tim,

Could you explain the differences a little more. I am thinking of converting Stack Knob controls on a 62 RI Jazz to a (V/V/T) setup.

Thanks

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Second vote for more explanation...

P@

11. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Sorry Tim, but I have to disagree.
    A Linear taper pot will have an uneven effect to the tone sweep.
    A standard Jazz bass uses all Audio taper pots, as do most passive guitars and basses.
    Occassionally you will find linear taper pots on Guitars (Like certain model Les Pauls) and basses but that is for a specific effect.

Pat, you will do great with .022 caps (Although I would also check out .047 and .080) and 250k Audio taper pots.

12. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Hey Andy, Sounds like you might not like Seymour Duncan?
    It is certainly possible for that schematic to be wrong considering I drew all of them for Seymour from memory (The standards anyway) for the most part and I was creating around 180 at the time.

Sometimes I would follow tradition, which isn't always the best approach considering Fender was still experimenting and tone has improved so much since.
    .047 and .080 caps are great for bass, just depends on how much top end you want to roll off. .022 works fine for Jazz basses because the pickups are single coils and bright enough with a fairly high resonant peak.

Cheers.