Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Apr 18, 2004.

1. I have a MIM fender jazz, and I would like to change the wiring in it to volume, blend, and tone. Where could I get the pots, wire and capacitor with a good quality jack? Are there any pots out there that have a notch as you get to the halfway mark?
    many thanks.

edit:Also a wiring diagram would be nice!!
    :cool:

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi fenderbassabuse (nice monicker by the way, definitely a good thing to do with a fender), have you checked the bartolini website? I think they have the pots you need, it's the "pickup blend pot with center detent". also they have some wiring diagrams. check mrgearhead.com too, that's Fender's tech site and they have a bunch of J-bass wiring diagrams. Also check the guitar wiring menu on guitarnuts.com. The rest of the stuff (wire, caps, jack) you can get just about anywhere, warmoth, allparts, stewmac, etc. Some of those folks may have the right pot too.

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
  4. Cool, thanks guys! What value on the pot should I use? 500Kohm or 250Kohm? Does that affect the sound at all?

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I think mine is 250. Check Mr.Gearhead. They should have the correct value.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Actually, I couldn't find any proper info on vol/bal/tone-mod on Mr Gearhead.. Could someone point the handless me to the right direction?

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    250K is normal. The higher the number the "brighter" the tone since the pot actually bleeds off the highs.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    PM me if you find your diagram. I will take some shots of my mod and email them to you.

I remember now that I used a diagram from another website other than Gearhead. Do you think I can remember where it is?

Go to the Fender forum and start seaching. That's where I found the link.

If all else fails...send the pm to me. Glad to help.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok, one of my mates who apparently has been twiddling with his guitar pups before quickly edited me this diagram from SD site's original. Could anyone verify that this is 100% correct?