1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass with 7.5 radius neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hizzoner, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    Anyone familiar with make and models of jazz bass with a 7.5 radius neck...nut at 11/2 or 1 5/8? I really like the feel of my Stingray Classic neck and would like to "Get close " to that on my next jazz bass. I currently own a Geddy Jazz..love the neck but sometimes feel the neck is a bit thin. I really dig the feel of the classic ray neck(mine is gunstock oil finished, not poly).

Thanks
    Mark

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I think the Roadworn jazz does, I know the RW P does. They both are the nicest feeling necks Fender makes.

3. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    7.5 radius is typically found on vintage ('60s) instruments. Also, Phil Kubicki uses 7.5 radius on the Ex-Factors.

4. I do prefer the 7.5" radius still. Maybe it's because I'm a crappy bassist, but I can barre more easily with 'em.

I do have to adapt when playing my 11" and 12" radius basses.

The Fender AVRI '62 Precision and Jazz both have the 7.5" radius necks.

EBMM Classic Stingray and Sterling also have 'em.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Fender's '75 RI and Marcus Miller also have the 7.25" radius, and I believe Lakland's Daryl Jones signature did too. You can order G&L's JB and JB-2 with a 7.5" radius (stock is 12"); the #6 neck is closest to a vintage J-bass with 1.5" nut and 7.5" radius.

6. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I think I need to try some different Jazz basses and consider trading my Geddy. Will start with the AV series and look into some lakies as well. Thanks

7. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    pretty sure all the avri, mexican classic series, and artist series not mij that are based on vintage instruments have this radius

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    My '87 Jazz Bass Special has 7-1/4." But, it is a P/J kind of thing, with a P body and J neck. But, that means you can get the P sound with just the front pickup, and have that nice Jazz neck at 1.5". Personally, I don't like the typical P neck due to it's 1.625" width at the nut. I also played a '65 P last night that was wide like that AND had a very flat radius. Feels wrong to me.

9. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    lakland current models seem to have a larger radius across the board