1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

jazz bass with a P bass neck anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCW, Apr 23, 2009.

1. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i just got a squier series p bass neck and tuners for 10$ in good shape, i like jazz bass pick ups and layouts so i plan on getting the 89$ sx and putting the p bass neck on it. So whos done it:p Its all a comfort reason for me just dont like jazz widths

2. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I put an SX p neck on an SX jazz. Its not quite the same as a fender P neck, but close. I have another fender P neck on teh way that I might put on a squier body. I just cant get used to those thin jazz necks.

You may want to try a P/J bass too. Rondo's P/J has their P neck already. I have that bass. All fender P/J basses currently have J necks. I have an older hot rod p bass which has a P neck and its my #1.

I would check around the classifieds here and youll probably find a squier jazz body for a decent price at some point. There is a nice looking SX jazz body for sale but IMO the price is a bit high. Edit: looks like the price was lowered...

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    With all those late '60s and '70s Precisions out there with Jazz bass necks on them, where are the Jazz basses with Precision necks?!??

Anthony Jackson's "Career Girl" is one, but there should be a lot more. One of the reasons I don't have a Jazz bass is the skinny neck on them. With proper left-hand technique, a 1.75" P neck is not any "harder" to play than a 1.5" Jazz.

jte

4. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I used to own one. I had a MIM P neck so I bought a jazz body and put EMG vintage series pups in it. It played and sounded great! I should never have sold it...:bawl:

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I put a p neck on my Jazz, it's awesome!

6. larsg

larsg

Dec 18, 2005
    tim commerford pre lakland...

7. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!

i want one of those hot rod p's! lucky man;)

well thanks for your input i think it will be a good project and i think i'll wait to pick up a cheap J body since i would just gut an SX all the way

i am think the MIM neck ,tuners , neck plate gotoh 201 bridge and a J body pick ups wise idk yet?

8. jonno1707

jonno1707 Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Nanuet N.Y.
    The bass on the right is my 77 Jazz with a 69 P neck that was de-fretted..
    I love this bass...
    DSC00036.
    DSC00035.

9. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    ^ that bass is awesome ! its like exactly what i was picturing in my mind i was thinking of going fretless but idk yet.

actually both those basses are sweet:hyper:

10. jonno1707

Apr 1, 2006
    Nanuet N.Y.
    Thanks bro...

11. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    No prob ! what year is that P bass ?

12. jonno1707

Apr 1, 2006
    Nanuet N.Y.
    She's an all original 64...

13. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I have a Jazz body with a Modulus BassStar P neck on it. Awesome.

14. = My dream bass.

15. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One of my favorite combo's. My primary bass is a Jazz with a P neck.

16. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Man.....thanks for the eye candy:)

well i have the MIM neck and tuners i think i will just use a MIM vintage style bridge i have instead of my usual goth 201 choice

just gotta decide on a body and pick ups mainly:help: i really want a vintage sounding bass i already have a poppy punk sounding p bass

17. 4stringman

4stringman

Oct 12, 2008
    Memphis, Tn
    Try a Lindy Fralin or a Nordstrand with some flats. That should really give you a vintage sound

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I put p-bass necks on my jazz basses because I also pt a 5th string on them.

white-bass%20022.

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You know, that IS an excellent question! I've seen a whole bunch of P-bass bodies with J necks, from *way* back...

For me, I prefer the spacing of a J neck, though I'm pretty happy with my slightly wider Lakland neck (it seems like a good compromise between P & J)... but what of all those J bodies with P necks? Did they all get used as firewood?

20. skywalkerla5

skywalkerla5

Jun 11, 2006
    are those four string pickups?