Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass with humbuckers or single coils?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Oct 29, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Do humbucking Jazz pickups change the characteristic Jazz bass sound much?

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Not if they're Lindy Fralin Split Jazz. Those do a great job of preserving classic J tone. I don't have experience with any others.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I have Bart 9cbjd pups in my alder/rosewood combo and I really like them.
    They are warm, full and clean. The classic Jazz sounds a little raw to me. I can tell you I get a lot of compliments on the tone and our sound guy just loves my 'Fender' sound, so it seems to work.

Did you finish that project Jazz with the quilt maple top?
    I'm doing one myself and was wondering how you finished the body.
    Yes, the Barts will go in the new bass too.

4. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I've never worked on a Jazz with a quilt top. I've got this P-bass in progress pretty much the way it is here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a Bart 8S for it. I just need to get the hardware now. I'm leaning towards black but chrome might look good too.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    I must be getting old and forgetfull, but my eyes do tell me that it is a P. At least I can still see!! And it's more flamed I guess. Regardless, it is a great looking body and will be a killer bass. So did you use dye or just oil?
    USACG is sending me an alder body with a flamed/spalted maple top and I'm planning to hit it with an amber dye and Tru Oil.
    Black hardware? I think a black bridge and knobs look good, but tuners are just too much. I'm going with chrome all the way.
    If you decide against the BadAss, let me know. I need to get one somewhere.

6. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Believe it or not this is just the Tru Oil. It imparts a nice golden hue to porous wood once you rub in enough coats. I found that it wasn't as hard a finish as I would like so I rubbed on some Minwax wipe - on poly to harden things up. The Minwax is trickier to apply.

I'm still ruminating on getting a black Badass.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    It's a beautiful finish. I have some stuff called Arm-R-Seal which is a tung oil/Poly mix that I may use for a final coat or two. It's almost as easy as the Tru Oil to apply, but is a harder finish. Steve at USACG is really pushing the Minwax, but I've never used it.

8. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    The Minwax puts a good hard coat on. It ambers a little but not as much as the Tru Oil. The trouble I have with it is that I always get lint in the finish.

9. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Don't know what to tell you about the lint. There is no such thing as 'lint free' fabric. Some lose more lint than others, I suppose.

10. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    Does anyone have pics of Jazz basses with 'buckers?

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Carey Nordstrand makes some dang fine hum-cancelling J pickups. I have the NJ4SEs on one of my Js and they sound great, but a bit more "modern" than the traditional SCs. The NJ4SV are hum-cancelling and supposed to be very close in tone to Carey's NJ4 SC pickups, about which vintage Jazz fans seem to say nice things.

I'm pretty sure that at some stage I'll give the NJ4SVs a try just out of curiosity, maybe on a Geddy if I can get my hands on one for a decent price (they cost about £675 over here, that's over $1200 US). Tried ordering one from Music123, but they've recently caved in to Fender and stopped shipping to the UK. :(