Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass with P neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rick Rice, May 21, 2003.

1. Anyone out there like me that just does not like Jazz necks? I once owned an american standard fender jazz a 97 I think, anyway I loved the sound and looks of it but just could never get comfortable with that skinny neck.
    If anyone out there has some experience with neck swapping or a warmoth project (J style/P neck) please share pics or thoughts on your opinions of how I go should about getting myself a decent Jazz without the skinny neck. I'd like to keep it around 700 or so. Thanks

2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I too do not like the slimness of the Jazz neck. I do know that the necks are interchangable between P and J basses. I would reccomend that when you buy the neck that you have it porfessionaly installed and then set up. Check out Moses. They sell P and J graphite necks for about 250.00 USD. If I was you I would buy a MIM Jazz (about 250.00), install a P neck (about 250.00), install a BadAss bridge (about 100.00), and new pickups (about 100.00). All of this could be had for cheaper if you buy used. That would be one kick ass Jazz for under 700.00 that should smoke any new MIA Jazz that retail for over 1000.00.

3. Well a MIM jazz is 429 at MF new. I'd suggest getting a Fender Geddy Lee signature, its a MIJ, its $629 (as long as you don't mind it only comes in black. Selling the neck on ebay (Since its a '70's style neck with block inlays you could prob get some money for it), it has a Bad Ass installed already, all you'd need is the neck.

4. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Not a bad idea....

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    $700 would be plenty to assemble a very nice 4-string using Warmoth parts. In the end, you'd have a very nice bass with everything exactly like you wanted it.

Chas

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i just recently put together a warmoth jazz
    with a fretless p bass warmoth neck. i love it:

pics

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I found this at the Warmoth site. Wouldn't be a bad place to start, IMO:

[​IMG]

Chas

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  10. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    ...the Brown Truck is due to drop it off in a couple hours. It's a Warmoth Dinky Jazz body with a fretless P neck. We'll see...

[​IMG]

DonZ: Do you have that Bass on Ebay right now? I saw one that looks just like it. Sure do wish it was posted a week ago. I'd a gone for it instead of the one I got. VERY clean Bass!

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yes i do have it up right now...

12. My beater-jazz has a P neck...Me likey :)

13. These basses have a three-bolt neck, so the Geddy neck would only fit without modification onto another three-bolter.

14. Thanks to all for the input. Now the wheels are really turning, Not sure I'd trust myself to put a warmoth project together, but the body Chasarms posted would sure look good with a 57 reissue P neck on it (is that possible). Do warmoth bodies accept Fender replacement necks? I mean a nice tight fit without alot of fudging to be done by an inexperienced person like me.

15. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I had to dig this up because I need help. I have a MIM Jazz bass with a Skinny Jazz neck and tons of dead spots. how much (about) would it cost me to get a Warmoth P-bass neck (including all hardware) Maple neck, Maple Fingerboard with Trapazoid abalone inlay's?