Jazz Bass with pickup selector switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by erikmilan1987, Feb 28, 2010.

1. erikmilan1987

erikmilan1987

Feb 1, 2010
    I was thinking about this mod from a long time since i dont really hear munch difference on the sound when you "Blend" the pickups at different volume levels, so i wanted to take the pickup switching to 3 way toggle switch to make a quick change to my sound live.

I want the config to be like this:

1 - Master Volume
    2 - Master Tone
    3 - 3 Way Toggle selector switch.
    4 - Output Jack (Of Cource)

1st Position: Bridge
    2nd Position: Both pickups (In Series)
    3rd Position: Neck

Does anyone have a scheeme or diagram of this config that can help me out to do this ? Its also valid to supply one with parallel wiring on the 2nd position.

Thanks in advance.

2. 4395512640_a12dcc2542_o.png

3. erikmilan1987

erikmilan1987

Feb 1, 2010
    Wow !... thanks bro!...
    a few questions i need to ask:

1. is this for parallel or series on the 2nd position ?
    2. The bridge PU is selectable by it self ? I ask this because i see that it dosent have a independent pole on the switch.
    3. You did this by your self or you have an interesting resource that you can share for future needs ?

4. 1. Series.

2. Yes, the bridge pickup is selectable by itself.

3. I do these myself in MS Paint.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrkdesimone/sets/72157616015420655/

5. erikmilan1987

erikmilan1987

Feb 1, 2010
  6. The bass in my avatar has a 3 way Strat/Tele style blade switch used for pickup selection.
    1. Bridge
    2. Bridge + Neck Parallel
    3. Neck

PawleeP likes this.
  7. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    In order to keep the original look of the bass, is there available a three-way rotary switch that would accept the stock knob?

PawleeP likes this.
  8. erikmilan1987

erikmilan1987

Feb 1, 2010
    Can i do the series wiring with a gibson style switch just by not using the other side of the DPDT and moving the ground to the respective ground tip on the switch ?

9. A Gibson style toggle switch is SPDT On/On/On. You would need On/Off/On, which AFAIK does not exist.

10. 4395032749_691bb11d26_o.png

3P3T (or 4P3T) Rotary toggle.

11. erikmilan1987

erikmilan1987

Feb 1, 2010
    Damn !, do you know any on/off/on switch that could be thick enough to fit on a jazz bass control plate hole ?

12. Just use a big washer.
    It works fine.

13. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Dingwalls have this awesome 4-way rotary switch that does neck/series/parallel/bridge. I really love that setup and would be stoked if I could replace the 2nd vol on my Jazz bass with that.

Alas, it looks like Dingwall doesn't sell parts anymore. I wonder if there's another source out there somewhere?

14. Yeah, IMO, if you are going to be doing a rotary toggle, there is really no reason not to take full advantage of a 4 way switching scheme instead of a 3 way.

If it's difficult to find a 4 position rotary toggle, you could opt instead for a 5 position, with the fifth position used to mute the output of the bass.

15. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    http://www.allparts.com/4-Position-Rotary-Switch-p/ep-4371-000.htm

Not sure if that would work or not. Seems worth a look!

16. I'm not sure if that's make-before-break or break-before-make, but that's exactly the switch you would want!

I've had a couple of people PM me in the past trying to find a 4 way switch like that. Very cool that Allparts has one.

17. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I'll probably try one out in the coming weeks. Should be fun, figuring out how to hook it up. :D

EDIT: ah, that 3-way series diagram gets me a lot closer!

18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021