Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NoNoise, Mar 6, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    First, of all, I apologize for posting such an overposted question, but I want you all to know that I did do a lot of searching in the forums first. I found a lot of things that helped me, but I just wanted to ask one very specific question. I would appreciate any help. Basically, I really want to buy a new bass, but I cannot. So, I am going to buy new pickups. I have a decent Fender Jazz, but I know I'm not going to turn it into a $3000 sound just because I get new pickups. My favorite bass sound can be found in the band Muse. I believe their bass player plays a Bartolini. I figured I could get a little closer to his sound by buying a pair of Bartolini pickups, but I didn't know whether that might just end up sounding ridiculous. So, if anyone could comment on that idea and/or suggest another way for me to get a very round, crisp (and still low) sound out of my Jazz, I would appreciate it.

-One last thing, why would I not buy dual in-line hum cancelling coils (as opposed to low noise single coils)? Thanks.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Barts are in many $3k basses. They're characteristically quiet, comparatively medium output (often on the low side) round, fairly clear, versatile, and not short on low end. They make lots of pups that cover a range of tones. Some don't even sound like Barts. They will sound decent if stuck in a decent bass but what's between the bass and the ears will make as much difference as the bass.

Probably would be a good idea to KNOW what pups he uses if that's the direction you're headed cause Barts are different.

3. mnolansoc,
    I have sent you a message concerning info on bartolini pickups for a Jazz bass.

If you do not see it then email me at gary-ats@sbcglobal.net

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    He plays Pedulla Rapture basses, with a custom wound Bart soapbar pickups.
    As Lunkfur said, Bart make A LOT of difference pickups - different shapes, different windings.
    You're going to get closer to his sound by playing a Rapture rather than putting Barts in a Jazz... but if you're intent on doing it, be aware that not all Barts are the same - they have brighter wound pickups, deeper wound pickups etc. The default winding J pickups they have have a slightly muted high end, nice growly low end. Nice sound, just might not be what you're looking for.

5. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yeah, I just found out that he plays a Pedulla Rapture with custom Barts [PICKUPS: Made for MV Pedulla by Bartolini, PJ (RB-PJ), JJ (RB-J2), or Soapbar (RB)- supposedly he prefers the Soapbar]. Are there any other pickups that may give me a similar sound (since I don't have a Pedulla, other pups make get me closer with my Jazz)? Thanks!

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Pedulla Raptures are common on the used market, and in my opinion WAY underpriced! Great basses, and cheap. I bet if you sold your Jazz and added the amount you're going to spend on pickups, you'd be most of the way to affording a used Rapture.

7. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    It looks like I can't buy your pickups "LoveThatBass" since my bass doesn't have the right dimensions, but they are an amazing price! I hope you find a good buyer.

...stupid bass... :bawl:

8. Not a stupid bass...just different

Good luck...I did "some" searching and haven't found a Bartolini for the Neck that is 3 5/8"
    www.guitarelectronics.com might be able to help you if you call them.

Gary

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the standard Bart J 4 string short (neck) is right at 3 5/8", 3.60. A milimeter or two can be worked with. Or am I missing something here?

10. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    You're right luknfur, I'm in conversation with a guy from bestbassdeals.com through email about the best option for me.

11. That will probably have to do. The Bridge is wound slightly hotter but not by much. Shouldn't make that big a deal.

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

matching the neck and bridge is not that big a deal. What's more significant is which Bart J's you get cause they can sound A LOT different. I wouldn't worry about the output cause you've got amps and onboard controls to get around that.

A neck pup will have about 1/3 more output by virtue of it's location alone so a higher output bridge pup would be more balanced output wise. Whether it would matter or not would depend on whether you're a bridge, balanced, or neck player.

Personally I'd give the Bart rep a call and see if he can point you in the direction of the Ped pup. I got a quick response from him, some guy's bitch about 'em. Ped might even sell you a set - some manufacturers will, some won't. From what I've gathered of Pedulla, they're pretty compliant people.

Even to ballpark a tone, you need all the help you can get.

13. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I tend to play directly above the neck pup with my fingers. On certain songs, however, I play with a pick slightly below the bridge pup. I'll give the Bart rep a call. Thanks for the advice!

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

what I meant was play of the pups. Some people go heavy on the neck, some on the bridge, some more balanced. For example, with most pup sets, the neck pup doesn't matter to me cause I play mostly off the bridge. Most neck pups in the sets I've hard are on the dark and muddy side. So I will usually ballpark volumes at 3 bridge to 1 neck. Pretty much any neck pup will work for me cause I don't use enough of it to matter. When I mix pups myself, I like a neck pup that is transparent and punchy so it fills up the J yet adds kick without altering the tone. But even then, I don't use much more neck. I'll use a bridge pup by itself sometimes if wil stand alone - but usually some neck is needed to add some meat.

Hand position will significantly affect tone on most pups as well but that's not what I was referring to. Sorry about that.

15. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Don't apologize for my misunderstanding ;) I usually use a similar balance that you do despite the fact that I play near the neck and you play near the bridge. I tend to turn up my bridge much more, and like you said, sometimes I don't add any neck. Usually my bass is set at 4 bridge and no neck, but I do add some (1-2) neck sometimes. I do think that part of my reason for this mix is because my factory pups are not that great.

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    :) Another misunderstanding. I play primarily at the front of the bridge pup but I'll play wherever I get tone. Some pups are very responsive to position and technique and you can just move up for more bass and/or dirt or down for more treble and/or clarity (among other things) instead of altering tone control or pup blend. On occassion I'll play back on E & A strings and up on D & G. Bit of a pain but whatever works. Some pups don't respond well to position and technique and (typically ) either don't vary enough to matter or (occassionally) they vary in a way that is not desireable.

17. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow, that actually is very helpful to me. I certainly noticed the difference in playing at different places, but I never experimented too much- especially with playing at different positions for different strings. I'm definitely going to try that out! Thanks, again!